PDA

View Full Version : Payments made at fdc

barrysharp
02-06-2003, 12:17 PM
I expect to buy several things at the FDC. What methods do FDC provide to facilitate money exchanges.

Can I use my Debit card, can I use my AX charge card, can I use my Banks VISA for example?

Many places in Europe have rstrictions on what plastic cards they accept and I don't want to arrive at FDC with a wad of money in my pocket.

kersti
02-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Hi Barry,
My experience has been that Visa is accepted most places in Europe. But RKestner should be able to tell you for sure.

Kersti

By the way, I have reached my definite cutoff date for add ons to my order.

bavioder
02-06-2003, 01:09 PM
They take all major credit cards including AMEX, Visa and MC.  I don't know about debit cards but they might..

rkestner
02-06-2003, 01:16 PM
i used american excuse (whoops! american express???) at the fdc and at the volvo city 'butik'.  i also used amex whenever possible as it seemed to get a better response.  perhaps they thought i was a rich/friendly american vice a cheap/ugly one?  also took a platinum mastercard.  used it the most, especially at the atms where it gave the absolute best exchange rate.  call your issuer and let them know you are going to europe and make sure your pin works for cash advances.  took a couple $k in travelers checques (old school) but brought most of it home when had to pay exchange fees and bad rates, even at american excuse offices.  the  europeans used debit/charge cards and pins everywhere, they just swiped, punched pin and went.  i had to sign a receipt everywhere i went, even automated gas pumps.  if you figure this out, let me know.  hope this is helpful.

purush
02-06-2003, 04:26 PM
These days when I travel to Europe or Japan I stop at an ATM, as I am getting off the airport, to get what ever local currency I want; for this I use my debit card.  All purchases are put on my credit card.  It turns out credit card companies not only charge you  for the cash advance but also an extra fee for foreign currency.    I have found ATM transactions get you the best exchange rate.

Hope that helps.

Purush