PDA

View Full Version : Volvo osd september 2002 story w/pictures

rkestner
11-10-2002, 02:56 PM
story of our OSD in September can be found on www.virtualtourist.com homepage=RichardBlaine.  will be updating the site as time allows.  hope everyone can find something interesting.  please send me feedback here or at virtualtourist if you have suggestions, comments, questions.  thanks.

coastal
11-10-2002, 03:14 PM
wow.. very comprehensive Richard, thanks!!
Here's an easy link to the article and photos: http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/2a093/

Had I not been so impatient to get behind the wheel, I would have definitely considered OSD, especially after reading about your adventures!

Has the car arrived yet? http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Art
11-10-2002, 05:33 PM
Great travelogue Richard! http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

OSD never even occurred to me during the time we were thinking about our purchase. After reading your experience, I'm almost sorry that I didn't give it more thought. Thanks for the tips! http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

BTW, what kind of total mileage did you end up clocking on the trip?

rkestner
11-11-2002, 06:03 AM
thanks for the comments.  
car is on it's way from jacksonville, fl as i type.  it would have been here two weeks ago, but we were not at home when the customs broker called.  we have a box # for an address here in rural new mexico, and the us customs folks require a physical address for clearance.  because we missed the call, it seems that our car was probably pulled out of the "line" and hence the delay.  we anticipate hearing from the dealer any day.  our salesperson will take pictures when the car arrives, and i will shoot some more when we pick up.  stayed tuned for additional details.

rkestner
11-11-2002, 06:11 AM
ooops!  forgot to answer the question about mileage.

from my memory (memory=2nd thing to go as you age, and i can't remember what goes 1st) i believe we averaged 24+ mpg over the almost 4K miles in a month.  this included the first 1250 mile breakin and subsequent autoroute/autobahn speed runs.  we used the highest octane available when we filled up, unless it was advertised as rocket fuel/jet fuel/formula 1 fuel.

look for us in the volvo osd video currently in production by dockhouse productions.  their film crew interviewed us at turn-in, and they have requested use of some of our travel photos.

Chipshot
11-11-2002, 09:01 AM
Terrific report, Richard.  An OSD is definitely on my "to-do" list, though I wish I had a better idea of when I could do so.  Did you take your whole family with you?

I applaud your color choice.  I have a white 2003 XC70 on order.  It was produced on 10/22, and I am looking forward to "meeting" it before year's end.

I toured the SAAB assembly plant in Trollhatten back in 1986 and was treated very nicely (including a bit of a "thrill ride") even though I wasn't picking up a new car.

William
11-11-2002, 01:07 PM
Richard,

Fantastic photos and journal of your unique European trip. I have had many customers come back from Europe with wonderful experiences such as yours. In fact, one couple who went over and took many pictures of their adventure came back with a great photo of their Cross Country alongside a World War II era tank. I got a kick out of seeing that photograph as one of the first reviews of the redesigned 2001 Cross Country also had photos of the new Volvo and a tank.

Thanks for sharing.

William Marks
http://www.flyvolvo.com

maybexc
11-11-2002, 01:46 PM
Just one word of warning to those contemplating the overseas delivery. Be cautious about your travel dates. I order a XC70 with the program and the car should be built this month. But when booking the travel through Volvo they told me of "blackout dates" when they wouldn't fulfill the tickets. These dates include 12/18 through 12/25 which puts a block on my plans to visit my sister in London for her 40th birthday on Christmas day. The existance of blackout dates was news to me and my to Volvo salesman and didn't appear in any of the literature.

Am still trying to work the issue with Volvo, but if you're counting on the tickets for particular dates, as I was, best to put that in writing before parting with your cash.

Other than that my experience of OSD so far has been positive.

maybexc
11-11-2002, 04:11 PM
As a postscript to the above message, Volvo has come through and honored the European travel tickets that they had previously blocked.

So all is well, but one should ask about travel restrictions in advance of firming up other plans.

ShadeTree
11-12-2002, 10:14 AM
Lots of good features with the OSD program (also known as TDS - Tourist and Diplomat Sales).  One thing to keep in mind - you don't HAVE to travel to Europe to pick up the car - the program is still a good way to get some savings (usually several $K) and order your car with all the specific features and accessories you want.  You can simplyl have the car delivered to the closest POE (port of entry).  Usually, the dealer will help with arrangements to pick up the car when it arrives.  I have found that factory installation of accessories is almost always better than dealer install - particularly with those that require a lot of work like trailer hitch, etc.

You should shop for special deals in this program - at different times of the year, Volvo offers special discount like pre-paid duties, extra discounts, etc.  Also, there may be special additional discounts for active or reserve military.