PDA

View Full Version : Osd in mid march

Low Tide
01-23-2003, 12:13 PM
Just curious, I have seen the OSD folks like myself getting quite excited about their FDC play-dates.  Who else is going to be there in March.  Volvo seems to be picking up a bit of OSD deliveries in the early spring.... Diana and Farah are quite busy they say....  Maybe that's why the prices are going up a little, to pay for all our freebies and trips?  

So, when ya going?
Where ya going?
What ya thinking?

Sweden is a bit chilly and gray in march and a WHOLE lot closed.   http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/hehe.gif

barrysharp
01-23-2003, 12:37 PM
I've selected my XC70 2003 factory pickup date to be Mar 28th (Friday) and the last date to meet the "pickup by end of March" requirement. It also puts me closer to a warmer clime maybe in Sweden and Norway areas.

My thoughts at this time are to travel from Goteborg->Oslo->Bergen and back, with maybe a side trip over to Stockholm. I'm trying to find out the best possible route between Oslo and Bergen given that there could be waether issues and mountain ranges in between. I'm all for it no matter what but my wife wants some assurances we will not meet with too many difficult driving conditions/situations etc. I'm trying to figure out what info I need to collect to provide her with these assurances. Any help from you folks out there would be appreciated no end.

Also, we have two Fox Terriers and I'm wondering how the Swedes and Norwegians takes to dogs travelling with us and the hotel/hostels views of them being with us. Also, I don't know what the issues with customs are wrt to bring dogs into the countries -- anyone know if this is possible. I know in UK they have some pretty strict rules about bringing pets into the country. It just maybe a bad idea to even contemplate having the dogs with us -- pity as they love to travel with us.

My other thought is to take Ferry from Goteborg to the European mainland and head south to wamer clime -- but as we've never been to Sweden/Norway we really want to see those countries and mix with the people there.

Anyhows -- these are our travel thoughts at this time.

Low Tide
01-23-2003, 01:16 PM
We are thinking about a circuit of the So. Sweden with crossings to Copenhagen before returning the car. Then we are heading south to Nice, across the riviera for some spring wildflowers and into the Veneto to visit friends. It seems to make a lot more sense to return to Sweden and Norway in the Summer on a second trip. I am not too concerned with the driving in March/April, as it is thawing- it is not a lot different that it would be driving up into the mountains of the sierra or cascades in winter from my recollections. Although- the Norway seciton you are discussing is likely to be in good shape at that time of the year. The jet streams keep the air much warmer west of Oslo I hear. Its very similar to the winter that we on the northern part of left coast (US) are use to. Rain, probably- but those are not the wet months either.... Snow, maybe, but not huge drifts that are impassable.  The roads are built to take it, and the car speaks for itself. Personally, I would rather be outdoors but  not freeze up in the mountains or in the frozen tundra of the North... that's why we are seriously considering the return trip- and the option of going south after the OSD.  

kersti
01-23-2003, 01:44 PM
I am picking up my car on friday March 14. The norwegian tourist bureau suggested E16 one way and highway 7 the other between Bergen and Oslo to get a variety of scenary. Using the handy travel link. It is 7-8 hours each way. I thought it might be nice as a side trip to take the flambana train from Flam to Myrdal (45min each way). This was the highlight of the Norway in a Nutshell tour that I took 3 years ago. Looking at CNN weather for Bergen, Oslo and Stockholm they seem to be pretty close this time of year, will keep monitoring it into March.

gribupirkt
01-23-2003, 02:28 PM
I just ordered my OSD XC70 a few days ago, so I haven't had the discussion about flight dates yet.  However, I'm considering flying out solo on my own dime for the late March pickup, and trying to convince the travel dept. to let me use my flight package (I bought the $295 side trip to Nice) later in the year when the weather is nicer. Are the people who set up the flights flexible?  Or is this just not going to be an option?  Any guesses?

Low Tide
01-23-2003, 02:55 PM
Good question. I recall both reading in the OSD rules and discussing with the Travel people (Diana and Farah) that you must use the travel coupons from Volvo to pick up the car- or you at least must use them in the same timeframe as the current offer requires. The prsent 2 ticket vouchers expire more or less. Let us know what you find out by grovelling.

Otherwise.... Using free tickets or cheap flights is a great consideration especialy in winter, but remember that late march and april are really nice in the south. I lived overseas for a couple of years- that time of the year is lovely and cheaper than the summer by a long shot. Also, there are few tourists and no crowds. The spring holidays for some students/families make the coast a little lively as well. Portugal, France, Spain, Italy, Greece are very temperate- high 50's, 60's. My last trip in 1999 was in March and there were a few days that reached the low 70's in Italy. So, in my opinion, Nice in early April is VERY nice- the wildflowers are usually out, perfuming the air.  Hiking is supurb in the hills, rain is sparse. Nice in July on the other hand, would be loud, crowded, and expensive. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sly.gif

purush
01-23-2003, 04:22 PM
My delivery date is Feb 25th.  I leave Raleigh, sans wife and child, on Feb 21st and return on Feb 26th.  It is the middle of the semester for me, so I can't get away from my teaching duties.  My wife and child are busy too with their activities.  I initially thought I could use the extra ticket later; however, the rules explicitly say that both tickets should be identical travel schedule.

Purush

MGC
01-23-2003, 11:12 PM
Add my name to the list.

We are going to pick the car up in late March. Our plan so far is to stay around Gothenburg for about 3 days then go to Copenhagen, then further south to the Rhine region of Germany. Working our way back to Gothenburg to drop off the car.

I live in Seattle so I am expecting the weather to be very similar to what we have that time of year.

We are considering the side trip to London.

MGC

stevel0923
01-23-2003, 11:50 PM
FYI, when asked about Frequent Flyer Mileages, only one person qualifies because the second ticket is paid for by a companion coupon.  Thats too bad because that could be a lot of United Airlines mileage for both parties.  Just hope UA stays a float long enough to March.  We're traveling to Paris on 3/14.  Even though we're not picking up our car due to direct delivery, we still want to travel to Europe and visit our friends in Paris.  Planning to rent a car and drive around the beaches of Normandie.

Another concern is whats happening in the Gulf.  Not too sure about traveling abroad if war breaks out. Volvo might have some travel contigency for this.... http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Mr_Westlake
01-24-2003, 01:50 AM
Barry and Kersti: About travelling concerns read my other posts, here (http://xc70.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=966) and here (http://xc70.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=1024).

Barry, I think they have pretty strict rules about bringing pets in to Sweden also.

Read more here: Pets (http://www.sjv.se/net/SJV/Home/%c4mnesomr%e5den/Animal+health+&+welfare/Import+&+export+of+live+animals/Dogs/Dogs+from+countries+outside+the+EU+&+EFTA/Dogs+from+non+rabies+free+countries)

And to You all, welcome to Sweden. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/hehe.gif

kersti
01-24-2003, 09:52 AM
Thank you, I did use the trip planner to get a better idea of time vs miles. Even though the trip is 7-8 hrs I think we will still try to take the Oslo- Bergen route, that is if the weather is clear. With a car, you can always change your plans and go with the flow. We will get lodging as we go and we will be carrying sleeping bags for emergencies.

Kersti

barrysharp
01-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Hi MGC:

I think it very likely that we will be on the same flight as you out of SeaTac on the Mar 26th, with a car factory pickup on Mar 28th. I believe you've emailed me privately and I'm just guessing that MGC is same person  http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

If this is correct let me know.

AutoMonkey
01-28-2003, 11:30 AM
We're planning to pick up our XC70 sometime in the middle of March - don't have final dates yet since we only just placed the order. I'd like to thank everyone in this thread (and others) for the great information on the OSD program - it literally saved us thousands!

barrysharp
01-28-2003, 12:13 PM
AutoMonkey:

Welcome to this wonderful/helpful/informative forum. I too have benefited greatly from the many friendly forum members responses to my endless stream of inquiries. The forum has added enormously to my OSD endeavor and is making it truely enjoyable.

joe
01-29-2003, 11:16 PM
My wife and I will pickup our XC70 at the factory on Monday Mar 24th.  We are flying in over the weekend.  From there we drive (roughly) south to Geneva and fly home 9 days later.

Sounds like we'll just miss some of you.  Have fun!

Low Tide
01-30-2003, 08:29 AM
I think that we certianly have people arriving every Friday and Monday through the month now...  keep up the posts with trip plans and changes based on your research.  Anything that is relevant to the end of winter travel season is appreciated.  Recommended stays, roads, etc.

kersti
01-30-2003, 09:57 AM
Hi Joe,
We will probably cross paths as I will deliver my car for shipment back Mar 24 and fly back home to CA that afternoon.

Kersti

MGC
01-30-2003, 10:44 PM
Hi Barry;

I just saw your message and you guessed correctly about the e-mail.

There is a very good chance that we will be on the same flight. I have been in contact with Farah and have confirmed our flight for the evening of the 26th from Seattle but have not been ticketed. Our scheduled delivery of the car is March 28th.

This is a great forum and I have a applaud everyone for the participation and enthusiasm that is shown here.

Hopefully everyone from this forum that is taking delivery on March 28th will be able meet somewhere in route or in Gothenburg.

See you in Sweden.

Cheers

MGC

hordtheviking
02-21-2003, 10:03 AM
Barry, I noticed Kersti mentioned it too but unless things have changed Sweden had strict 6 month quarantine rules for dogs coming in from the U.S. since they don't have rabies over there.

We're coming over 3/12 for a 3/13 pick up at the FDC (we think), not confirmed yet but that's what we're planning as we started this whole process a little late. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif I think we're going to try and hit the glass factories like Kosta and Orrefors and then spend most of our time in Stockholm seeing relatives before dropping off the buggy in Goteborg again ~3/18. Hope to see another VolvoXC.com person while we're there.

barrysharp
02-21-2003, 12:34 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MGC @ Jan. 30 2003,21:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi Barry;

I just saw your message and you guessed correctly about the e-mail.

There is a very good chance that we will be on the same flight. I have been in contact with Farah and have confirmed our flight for the evening of the 26th from Seattle but have not been ticketed. Our scheduled delivery of the car is March 28th.

This is a great forum and I have a applaud everyone for the participation and enthusiasm that is shown here.

Hopefully everyone from this forum that is taking delivery on March 28th will be able meet somewhere in route or in Gothenburg.

See you in Sweden.

Cheers

MGC[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
MGC:

We are on the exact same schedule (apart from drop off date) -- outbound flight from SeaTac and FDC date -- see you at SeaTac or on the plane or at Raddisson or at FDC. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

BTW -- SAS uses the Airbus A340-300 from SeaTac-to-Copenhagen and this type plane&#39;s coach seats don&#39;t have computer laptop power outlets. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif If this is important to you -- the upgrade cabin Traveler Plus (or whatever they call it these days) does have them. Sharon at VolvoCorp Travel said to ask at ticket counter for free upgrade to Traveler Plus as there could be space available to allow computer power hookup. This may work if the plane isn&#39;t too full http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

When arriving at Goteborg airport the Volvo limo driver who takes us to the Raddisson should be around holding up a board/sign with your name on it.

I&#39;ve already contacted FDC (Alexandra) and they&#39;ve agreed to pick my son and me up at the Raddisson around 8am Fri 28th. I wanted to start early in the day as Alexandra has told me Friday 28th is very busy at the FDC. Hopefully this will leave sufficient time on Friday to make some headway north toward Oslo etc.

katekka
02-22-2003, 07:52 AM
We had a change in plans yesterday, and instead on a Thursday 3/27 pick-up date, we switched to Friday 3/28. What I learned was: From the west coast (LA) leaving on a Wednesday brings you to Gothenburg airport at 3 PM Thursday - too late for factory pick-up that day. Volvo schedules a maximum of 20 factory deliveries a day, and fortunately there were only 19 scheduled for the Friday by yesterday. Both OSD department and travel were very helpful and accommodating. We were able to schedule extra nights at the hotel at the corporate rate (~&#036;122 + tax) mentioned previously. &nbsp;The ticket program requires staying over a Saturday night, so we&#39;ll be returning Sunday. &nbsp;Though a longer trip would be great, with 3 kids, etc. we&#39;ll be back at work on Monday. &nbsp;I was told that Saturday and Monday, the factory is closed - does anyone know if there is a Holiday over this weekend? Also, we&#39;ve just started researching activities, restaurants, etc in Gothenburg (Gravlax and Aquavat sounds good&#33http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif and found a site - &nbsp;concierge.com -which has a good listing for Gothenburg. &nbsp;Any recommendations would b eappreciated. &nbsp;Bob

MGC
02-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Barry

Thanks for the info and I appreciate the update on the plane configuration. &nbsp;I’ve been debating on whether to take my laptop or leave it at home. &nbsp;

My wife and I will be staying in Europe for 15 days and I’m sure having a computer along would be helpful for downloading and storing photos but having to lug it around may become a burden. &nbsp;Plus I am also a little paranoid about having it stolen from a hotel room.

We plan to stay around Gothenburg through Sunday before driving to Copenhagen for a couple of days. &nbsp;After Copenhagen we are continuing south into Germany and will end our trip by visiting London on the OSD London side trip.

Katekka &nbsp;(Bob)

I have a couple of acquaintances that live in Gothenburg and will e-mail them for restaurant recommendation which I will post them when they respond.

Low Tide
02-22-2003, 09:41 PM
Just in case you were not informed yet-

M-F at the FDC:

Lunch is at 12noon
English Factory Tour 1pm

Pickup are scheduled from 9am-3pm
Average time is 75 minutes.

AutoMonkey
02-23-2003, 10:51 AM
LT: thanks for the info. Did you/will you schedule your pickup time in advance, or is this something they figure out when you arrive? I was going to call them 3-4 days before departure as indicated, but maybe it&#39;s worth requesting a specific time further in advance?

Thanks

AutoMonkey

Low Tide
02-23-2003, 11:02 AM
I am scheduled already. &nbsp;The FDC encouraged it because they are very busy. &nbsp;Send them an email if you have a preferred time. &nbsp; The two best times if you are planning to have anythign changed or added is the morning. &nbsp;Right after lunch is also a good time I hear since most are taking the tour. &nbsp;The tour is also given in other languages- a definate plus if you are multiligual.

barrysharp
02-23-2003, 11:53 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AutoMonkey @ Feb. 23 2003,09:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">LT: thanks for the info. Did you/will you schedule your pickup time in advance, or is this something they figure out when you arrive? I was going to call them 3-4 days before departure as indicated, but maybe it&#39;s worth requesting a specific time further in advance?

Thanks

AutoMonkey[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
AutoMonkey:

I&#39;ve taken same approach as LT. I was forewarned that Fri &amp; Mon were the busiest days at FDC. As my pickup at FDC is a Friday I decided to contact(Email) FDC(Alexandra) way ahead of time rather than the 3-4 days in advance to setup the earliest time on Friday. FDC has emailed me saying what time the limo driver will arrive at Raddison hotel etc etc. If you want an early start on your delivery it wouldn&#39;t hurt to request this now.

Good luck.

rkestner
03-06-2003, 12:00 PM
sure wish i was going again&#33; &nbsp;good luck to all you march &amp; otherwise travellers.