PDA

View Full Version : Breaking volvo news.

Low Tide
04-24-2003, 09:06 AM
Autoexpress UK Newswire-

Tuesday 22nd April 2003
Return Of The Saint

"It's a gift from the gods! Visitors to the New York Motor Show have been treated to a sneak preview of the spiritual successor to the classic Volvo P1800, famed for its star role in the Sixties TV series, The Saint.

Set to go on sale in 2005, the newcomer will be part of the eagerly awaited V50 range, and is based on the hi-tech C1 platform that will also underpin the next Ford Focus. From what our sources have told us, it's destined to be a car even the elusive Simon Templar would be pleased to be seen in.

Christened the C50, and aimed at the likes of the Audi TT and BMW's 3-Series Coupé, this two-door Volvo will fill the gap left by the powerful C70, which was axed in October 2002.

A strict 2+2, the newcomer will add a much needed sporty injection to the firm's fast-growing line-up. The C50 will be far more sporty than the larger S60 saloon, and will offer handling and performance to tempt enthusiastic drivers away from traditional favourites.

At launch, the company says entry-level editions of the car will be front-wheel drive. A choice of petrol and diesel engines will be offered, including 140bhp, 170bhp and 200bhp editions of the firm's new 2.4-litre five-cylinder turbo. A D5 diesel is also under development. Expected to offer 160bhp, this turbocharged oil-burner will mix performance with great fuel economy.

Flagship models will use the 300bhp 2.5-litre which debuted in the recently launched S60 and V70R. And because the Focus C1 platform has the capacity to cater for an all-wheel-drive layout, the top-of-the-range car, badged C50R, is likely to put all that muscle to good use by delivering power to both axles.

Suspension will be inspired by the Swedish firm's newly unveiled Four-C system, which combines active shock absorption with four-wheel-drive transmission and traction control. Applied to models such as the S60R, this set-up not only provides greater stability, but delivers masses of grip, too.

The arrangement also offers more refinement than four-wheel-drive machines such as the Subaru Impreza and Mitsubishi Evolution VIII without sacrificing driveability. And there's no reason to assume the system would affect the C50R any differently. The firm's long-term aim is to tempt buyers out of premium German models, and the BMW M3 is seen as a principal rival.

The C50, along with other models on the V50/Focus platform, will also get two new engines shortly after it is launched - a 1.8-litre four-cylinder petrol and a 2.0-litre turbodiesel. But it's not only the 3-Series Coupé that Volvo has in its sights. BMW's Convertible will also be under threat in 2005, when the C50 goes topless and completes the Swedish company's new line-up.

With a fully electrically operated roof and a luxurious interior, the emphasis will shift from performance to comfort to rival that of the Audi A4 Cabrio. So is Volvo right to be looking into the past when considering future sporting models? There's no denying the class of its Sixties design, or its enthusiasm when it comes to resurrecting retro style. After all, Volvo has a rich design heritage, and the P1800 was a high point.

This sports coupé draws on fine-looking Volvos of the past, but adds a modern twist. The new model will have the original easily beaten in the CO2 emissions race but, with a green eye on the future, the firm's engineers have indicated that the C50 will also be available as a hybrid. That means a conventional petrol engine will be supplemented by batteries that recharge themselves when the car is on the move. An exact on-sale date for the new coupé has yet to be confirmed, but an announcement is likely next spring."

Low Tide
04-24-2003, 09:11 AM
BTW:

I kow this car has been a rumor, but it looks like it does exist now.... in reality as a production vehicle. Smaller, faster, better, and hopefully cheaper.

Did I read that correctly? P1800 lines, 300bhp, convertible, sporty? GO VOLVO!

Pictures anyone- real ones? The only ones I see are the "fakes" from last summer.  My guess is that the SCC test vehicles are going to be close in size.

Add THAT to my "virtual garage"
Pre-orders anyone?

ifnt420
04-24-2003, 09:13 AM
ahh....that sounds like a very cool car, some one please tell me they have a photo to post here... I'm dying to find out what it looks like!!  http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/unhappy.gif

barrysharp
04-24-2003, 09:37 AM
WONDERFUL news Low Tide -- THANKS http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Volvo and Apple are indeed kindred spirits -- innovation -- exciting -- upscale -- surprising -- fun -- stylish -- pricing not out-of-reach -- and products that appeal to the best of us http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Art
04-24-2003, 10:43 AM
Here's a photo of a preliminary design taken from an earlier post of Taylor's. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">VOLVO CARS OF NORTH AMERICA SPORTS COUPE
A sports coupe: A blend of retrospective shapes from earlier Volvos and a futuristic view on a compact two-seater sports car.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

http://www.sportbilen.se/bilder/bilder/sportscoupe1.jpg

barrysharp
04-24-2003, 11:02 AM
Why do you think the upper windshield edge is curved they way it is ?
Is it simply for style and for being &#39;different&#39; ?
What hides behind the lowered roof line ?
Have you ever seen this curved roof line on other concept or early design cars?
Is it simply to block the sun light from the driver&#39;s eyes when looking at the rear view mirror?

cakennedy
04-24-2003, 11:17 AM
WOW that design concept is good-looking, especially compared to what&#39;s been coming out of BMW and now Audi studios recently.

Although, if it is FWD (or even AWD) it&#39;ll be difficult to compete on driving dynamics with a RWD BMW coupe. Around town AWD can approximate some of the driving characteristics of RWD, but on a track it&#39;s not close. At the car&#39;s handling limit, most AWD cars are difficult, if not impossible, to balance or steer the car with the throttle, and push at least as much as FWD cars. Which is why, without having driven one, I don&#39;t think the S60R can possibly compete with an M3, or even a C32 AMG, in driving dynamics.

It&#39;d be great if they called it a pure sports coupe, offered it in RWD with a manual transmission, kept the weight down, and paid more attention to responsive handling than smooth cruising abilities. But it&#39;s certainly encouraging to seem them recognize the P1800&#39;s heritage and produce another stunning concept.

Low Tide
04-24-2003, 11:34 AM
Art-

I was going to add that photo... but my hunch is that if they are looking at a MY2006 launch, then I think that concept photos don&#39;t reveal the whole &quot;picture&quot; of the car. &nbsp;Has anyone seen titles attached to any of those concept vehicles? Interesting also that the article didn&#39;t mention any of the other concepts presented in Volvo&#39;s computer &quot;show&quot; &nbsp;

I&#39;ll bet there is a built concept by now. &nbsp;That&#39;s the photo I want to see. &nbsp;I was thinking more along the lines of the SCC reconfigured into a roadster. &nbsp;If the roof is electronic- any ideas-

budrichard
04-24-2003, 04:16 PM
If the convertable has a folding hardtop, there is one sold&#33; -Dick

Filibuster
05-02-2003, 03:06 PM
kakennedy. a four wheel drive car need not be worse on the limit than a rwd car. &nbsp;Have you driven e.g a subaru impresa wrx car or a mitsubishi evo 7. &nbsp;these cars are great and at least as good as a m3 on the limit.