PDA

View Full Version : Trailer hitch

docrhino
08-21-2003, 11:49 AM
I have a new 2004 XC 90. It's great I love it. I have just ordered Volvo's trailer hitch and wondered if anyone has any experience installing it? Any tips, tricks or problems would be appreciated Thanks

Greek90
08-26-2003, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I have smthg. for you.
When the dealer puts it on, make sure you are there and make sure he follows the instructions, i.e. cut only two stripes from the bumper not a huge "U".
He can also take a look at some trails which are found behind the bumper.
Hope this has helped.
If you have the rear skid, the same applies for it.

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/24363/p/415488_5657473162333386031_v.jpg

Big
08-27-2003, 08:27 AM
Note that the photo is of a Euro hitch. The U.S. receiver hitch looks somewhat different although the advice about the cutout still applies. It's a fairly complicated install because of having to remove the bumper cover, lower the exhaust, and remove inside panels (if wiring is installed).

cobraman
10-17-2003, 05:23 PM
I had the Volvo trailer hitch installed by the dealer when I received the car back in Feb. Turns out that the electrical connector installed then was actually a European 7 pin connector with a 4 wire adapter. This meant that you couldn't use a US trailer with trailer brakes and a 7 pin connector. My dealer switched the cable and connector for the now shipping US version that has the correct connector.

If you are planning to use a trailer with electric brakes, it is necessary to use an electric brake controller that must be purchased from a third party and installed under the driver's dash. Most, if not all, US cars or trucks that have the towing harness also have a connector plug under the dash for this purpose already wired into the harness. Volvo seems to have forgotten this very necessary item. The controller can still be installed, but it takes a very good technician who can determine the correct wires to use and who can run the rest of the necessary wires on his own.

I had my controller installed this morning and found an excellent shop. For those in the Wash, DC area, you should go to Shen-Valley Trailers on Rt 29 between Gainesville, VA and Warrenton, VA. They are great people to do business with and their installer, Jeff, did a magnificant job. I am very particular about my car and he couldn't have done a neater, cleaner, more professional job. It looks better than factory installed. I would highly recommend them for any trailer related needs.

Very happy customer. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Big
10-17-2003, 10:28 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cobraman @ Oct. 17 2003,17:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Most, if not all, US cars or trucks that have the towing harness also have a connector plug under the dash for this purpose already wired into the harness. Volvo seems to have forgotten this very necessary item.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I noticed that. The story I got is that trailers in Europe use reaction brakes so there does not need to be a controller in the car. Disregarding the fact that electric brakes are standard here.

Also, until recently the Volvo connector didn&#39;t even have a charge line. Then there is the odd spec about the maximum 6.25-inch shank length. Seems like towing, including safe towing, has not been a Volvo priority.

1sttimevolvo
10-20-2003, 07:11 AM
Photos I have seen of the `Hidden Hitch&#39; brand hitch for the XC90 indicates that no cuts in the bumper are required at all.

Check this link at swedespeed for info:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=12744

The Hidden Hitch looks very clean. I plan to purchase this hitch myself. The thread above gives some pretty good installation info on the Hidden Hitch and appears to be fairly easy to install yourself.

However, you do have to provide the wiring harness separate.