PDA

View Full Version : Horrible screeching noise

navik
06-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Hi, I just recently picked up my Ruby Red XC90 and have been completly content until recently. As I was driving home from a friends one night, a horrible screeching noise came from the car. I believe it was around the wheels area. It was so loud, my son heard it from the house while he was watching TV and I was all the way up the street! I am throughly disgusted that my beautiful new car is broken. Does anyone know what the heck is happening to my car. Please help!

barrysharp
06-22-2003, 05:05 PM
Did the screeching sound start *suddenly* ?
Does the sound stop when you apply brakes ?
Does the sound continue when car at a standstill ?
How many miles on car ?

I would certainly call your Volvo dealership ASAP and get their advice. If they say it's OK to drive then you're covered under warranty without question. I would avoid driving it until you get advice from Volvo.

If you son heard the noise as yoy say it must be pretty darn loud.

Good luck and post back what Volvo say for you to do and what they do to resolve it.

Family Car
06-24-2003, 08:28 AM
Navik,
Swing down and look at "Anyone else w/ 2004 problems". We had the exact same experience that occurred intermitently and it would clear a parking lot it was so horrible. Dealer felt it was related to partial engagement parking brake that can also result in the shuddering @ high speeds. Since adjusting "parking brake spring" all above issues resolved. Ours happened in first 1500 miles. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

navik
06-24-2003, 08:38 PM
Thanks for everyone who replied to my question. I took the car out to Volvo right away and they fixed it within a day! The technician found the parking brake "balancing spring" to be faulty. The technicians replaced the parking brake "balancing spring" and so far so good. Supposidly, this is a manufactured defect, so I hope to help anyone else with the same problem. It initially began after 300 miles of driving. Luckly, it's gone, and now I am once again, able to enjoy the bliss of driving a car made by Volvo.