PDA

View Full Version : V8 for 2005 XC90?

DaveyK
02-25-2004, 01:09 PM
While quickly reading through Edmunds.com I came across a few posts late last night suggesting that Volvo may be planning a V8 for the 2005 XC90.

Has anyone heard these rumours? If so, please elaborate. Thanks. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

DaveyK
02-25-2004, 01:31 PM
Well, I have never replied to my own post, but I thought I would share what I just learned from a Volvo salesperson in Ohio regarding a V8 for future XC90s.

He said that Volvo has a V8 is in the works for the XC90 and it will debut in 2005, 2005.5 or 2006; "probably closer to 2006."

From his perspective, he added that the new, larger engine would not necessarily add much "quickness" or speed, but it will "be around 300hp" with "more torque" at low RPMs for greater towing capability.  

I also asked about potential pricing and he said he has no information on that topic.

I look forward to hearing from others regarding these rumours.  Thanks. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

weroll
02-26-2004, 12:44 PM
I learned today that for the 2005 model year a V8 will be introduced. it is a 330bhp engine from Yamaha who is also manufacturing this engine for Lexus.

Hopefully it will come with a six speed geartronic.  http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif

weroll
02-26-2004, 12:46 PM
And by the way..... this one will beat the Cayenne!!!!!! http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

IAFM
02-27-2004, 06:30 AM
weroll,
Can you clarify which Lexus engine is built by Yamaha?  I am not aware of any Toyota V8 engines which are not designed and build by Toyota directly.  (With the exception of racing engines, F1, CART, Indy, etc.)

I would like to look more into this.

weroll
02-27-2004, 12:13 PM
IAFM

I'm not sure which engine this would be. I am not familiar with Lexus engines. The exact message I saw was  "the V8 engine is manufactured by Yamaha which company also provides V8's to Lexus"

You're right; this doesn't necessarily mean that this will be a lexus engine.

Anyone who can clarify?

baluchi
07-29-2004, 05:33 AM
Can someone tell me where the current T6 engines are manufactured?

I'm planning for an XC90 with T6 engine, and would like to know this.

Mr. P
07-29-2004, 07:49 AM
Personally, I wouldn't buy a Volvo with a Lexus engine in it. It would certainly be called something other than a "Volvo" if it did, and it would begin with the letter "B" and would have six letters following.

Volvo should have their head examined for even thinking about putting a Japanese engine in their car. Yes, I know they already use a Japanese transmission, but.................

"any auto manufacturing company who can't even build their own motor for their premium offering, is a second tier player"

the perception is going to have long lasting impact to Volvo.

Why, with such a great image, history, build quality, and loyal following, would Volvo ever do this? ANSWER: Ford Motor Company is hardly interested in the well being of the Volvo name, they'd be delighted to see Volvo sell more cars, and would use a Japanese motor in a heartbeat just to sell more cars. That way, the executive who made the decision can march in and demand a raise, and use the sales numbers on his resume when he leaves Ford to go up the ladder for an even higher paying job. Then he'll be looking for another company to plunder for the moment.

The T6 is built at the Ghent Belgium factory, I believe, but I'm not sure. Better check. This factory, even though not in Sweden, has been around since the 1960's and built the 140, 240 and 850 series cars, and is now building some of the new ones. It's actually bigger than Gothenburg's plant. The XC90 is built in Gothenburg, and it is therefore a true SWEDISH VOLVO, which I happen to like a lot.

When Volvo starts selling cars with Japanese motors, I most certainly will sadly go to BMW, Mercedes, VW, Audi, Range Rover (yes, the RR uses a BMW motor but it's a European connection and that a lot more tolerable even in a car assembled in UK and owned by Ford). My problem is the Japanese have a national plan to dominate world auto sales, and they're doing it now. This has nothing to do with race, it's a political statement, it's partisan, it's "pulling for the home team". I therefore want European (and American) manufacturing to stay competitive, and seeing a premium car like Volvo go to the Japanese has got to be viewed as a another major toe-hold in the European market for the Japanese. I hate to see Volvo slip beneath the "national pride" level of being able to produce their own motor, which I view as one of the very necessary elements of a premium first tier auto company.

having said that, I admit the Japanese build fine cars. They look good, perform well, but IMHO don't last for the long haul. Even if they did last for the long haul, I'm just one of many buyers that will never (ever) be seen in one. Hey, thankfully I still have a choice!

By the time I get ready for another vehicle, I'm sure there will be alternatives out there that will spare me from having to drive something with a motor from Japan, even though in manufacturing and performance terms will undoubtedly be a good motor.

I'm a rabid and loyal Volvo customer, but not when they start coming with engines from the Pacific rim. That breaks the camel's back. It's hard enough dealing with the Japanese transimission, but that's considered ancillary equipment, and not the "heart" and "soul" of the car.

My Porsche 928 is what I judge just about everything else by. It's heavier than my two 944s, but it also has a much more sophisticated suspension, and is really awesome over the road. Here's an old link with info on the car for anyone that's interested (or bored) [img]http://sis125.berkeley.edu/928/en-mrp.html[/url]

This is the 1983 "low compression US Spec version" and it was still the fastest car sold in North America, turbos included, in 1983. Aluminum body panels, 4-wheel passive steering via the Weissach rear axle, transaxle, rear mounted battery, torque tube, all aluminum V8 (this one is a SOHC 2-valve) and manual 5-speed. It's interesting that my 4-cylinder 3.0 S2 944 Cab is actually faster in the quarter and top end, but not by much.

What I find very interesting is the XC90 has the same weight bias as these world class road cars, and that's remarkable. It's because Volvo also uses a rear mounted battery for good reason, and uses a "light weight" aluminum motor of relatively small displacement, and the result is very good balance (far better than some of the competition driving around, the GM products being of particular note). Part of my concern when I heard they were going to rush a V8 into the car, was that in their haste they would either use an iron motor or shoe-horn something in. A V8 has two exhaust manifolds with twice the heat clearance problem, two heads, heavier crank, more pistons, bigger transmission, etc., and it remains to be seen if Volvo can maintain the balance, along with all of the cab-forward and leg room benefits (and safety crush zone) they now have.

This V8 Porsche was designed in 1977 and ran in production until 1995. After the V8was introduced, it was determined to toss the Audi motor that was giving Porsche a bad name in their 944 series, and to use an "all Porsche" product by sharing the aluminum silicon block manufacturing process, and various ancillary items such as power steering pumps, etc., along with the 928 cylinder head on the 944 4-cylinder. The result was a car the world has not stopped talking about yet, as that series is known for being the "best steering car ever built" and known for "the best" in handling.

I would hope Volvo would follow suit, and use some of their components such as pistons, cylinder heads, you name it, and produce a family "modular" product. I guess there's still time. It sure enhances the image of a manufacturing company when they have their act together well enough to build "their own motor".

I agree the XC could use more power, but..........believe it or not, for the use we give the car, it's just fine. I am more interested in the IPD suspension upgrades because the difference betwen these cars and the Volvo is quite a lot, naturally with the center of gravity and weight factors coming in to play. I may take it in to my Porsche mechanic to have the springs and sway bars changed out, just to keep the dealer out of the picture. No need to even have a conversation about it, as far as I'm concerned. I understand this is about a 4-hour job because the motor has to be unbolted from the mounts and raised a bit to do the sway bars, and then when the springs are done it probably should be re-aligned. I'm not planning on doing anything with the struts.

The XC90, by the way, looks right at home with this kind of European machinery, and also looks very good sitting in the parking lot of the yacht club (LOL). When it came time to consider a SUV, I wasn't interested in even looking at the products from Japan, and didn't. I was interested in buying from a European company, and would have gone to VW, BMW or Mercedes, and perhaps Range Rover if the Volvo product, image, heritage, and buid quality wasn't there for me.

The 2.5 AWD XC90 really is a great product, regardless of what some of the snooty junior journalists may write when they have to produce a manuscript. :P

Mr. P

weroll
07-30-2004, 09:48 AM
Mr P: Hold tight.

Volvo used to have the 440/460 series (predecessor of the S40) built on the same platform and same production line as the Mitsubishi Carisma.

Both models have never been sold in the US but this happened before Volvo was taken over by Ford.

In the past Volvo used Renault engins and transmissions.They used diesel engines manufactured by Volkswagen (but that was before they developed there current super D5 engines).

Mr. P
07-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Right you are, and I'm fully aware of that. I'm also fully aware that the Ford Probe is a "badge enginered" Mazda too. The cars you noted could have come with a Mitsubishi badge on the front, but they were being sold as Volvos, similar to the Probe being sold as a Ford. To some people it makes no difference. To some it may. Regarding the Probe, I always thought it was a fairly nice vehicle, as long as the buyer knew it was a Mazda they were buying it would have been fine I guess.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Japanese engineering. The issue is independence, strength, and image. One reason those cars were not sold in the US, in my opinion, is they didn't measure up to the image and standard Volvo wanted in the US. I really don't think Volvo wants to taint their image, and it was a good move, as Volvo has a stellar branding her in the US, and I sure would like to see them keep it.

I believe Volvo (and Ford) have pulled away from that relationship you mentioned, hopefully.

Mr. P

weroll
07-31-2004, 07:11 AM
Mr P

Volvo and renault did break up

I misinformed you. It wasn't the 440 but the S40 that shared it's platform with the Mits. Both were manufactured in Volvo's manufacturing site in the Netherlands.

The S40 was sold on the US market and there was nothing wrong with it

emamon
08-01-2004, 12:49 AM
Yo Mr. P.

My problem is the Japanese have a national plan to dominate world auto sales, and they're doing it now. This has nothing to do with race, it's a political statement, it's partisan, it's "pulling for the home team".
I always believed to observe a (national?) American "plan" to dominate any sales in the world - to which which the car manufacturers in Europe present a 'good' example. The far majority is trapped in American hands. Only the French play in leagues the Americans have no knwledge of (Ever sat in a Twingo? :o ), the Germans have laws to protect their Adolf plant in Wolfsburg (Uh, another "national plan to dominate the world" that luckily failed :eek: ), while the Italians struggle to keep GMs hand off their bella machina di Turino. And the British receive piles of boxes from Munich these days, from which they put together the RR Phantom. Imagine Rolls-Royce seats with leather from Bavarian cows :mad:

And then there was Volvo and the XC90. Ever noticed that the decision making buddy behind this fabulous car was not a Johansson or Petersson, but a fellow named Wolfgang Reitzle? Does not sound Swedish to me. Still it is a very good Swedish car. It would be even with a Yamaha engine - alongside the Mitsubishi Hifi, German Bosch electronics, French Michelin tyres, etc. Please note: there is no such thing like a European car manufactured in only one country. Not one. :cool:

Btw. It is kinda comedy to see a 928 owner talking about "true Swedish Volvo". Is the 928 a true Porsche? I doubt it - and many 911 drivers, too. :rolleyes:

tot ziens
emanon

Mr. P
08-02-2004, 07:46 AM
The Porsche 928 was a grand tourer automobile made by Porsche. It was Porsche's flagship model for eighteen years, throughout its production run from 1977 to 1995.

Designed to compete with the Ferrari 512BB & Ferrari Testarossa, Lamborghini Countach, Lamborghini Jalpa, Maserati Bora, & the Lotus Esprit, the V8engine, space capsule design, and the unique 50/50 front to rear weight distribution launched this automobile to supercar status.

On August 7th, 1986, the Porsche 928 was graced with the distinction of being the World's Fastest Production Car, earning the Land Speed Record at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Affectionately known as a 'Shark', or 'Land Shark', due both to it's shark-like appearance with its headlights down, and its ability to 'eat up' large segments of road, in very little time. The 928 was voted Car of the Year in 1978.

The 928 is designated as a grand tourer, as opposed to a sports car. The 928 was built as a car perfectly designed for commuting between countries on the Autobahn roadway in Europe.

(My '83 5-speed, BTW, was the fastest car sold in North America, and that includes any and all turbocharged cars, Porsche or not).

I forgive you for your comment about the 928, as many are ignorant to the qualities, especially those with the 911 who simply don't know any better, or wouldn't understand what to do with a car with perfect balance. Those who are informed about the subject, know better than to tread way out on thin ice, as it just blows their cover regarding true knowledge about the subject matter. Lift in a decreasing radius turn in a 911 and you crash backwards. Do the same in a 928 and you can adjust the stereo, the Weissach rear axle 4-wheel steering is awesome, you should try is sometime and then you'd know what you're talking about. I on the other hand, drive one with regularity.

If you want to snipe the posts about the XC90, that's fine, go right ahead. So far you're a "reactionary" without good information. If you want to snipe the Porsche cars, I can give you a reference where you can go and quickly be found out to be a total rookie.

Have a nice day! :-)

Mr. P

emamon
08-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Pile of words for the 928, Mr.P. Well well. Wonder how much kilometres You must have spent on the Autobahn then. But it was the XC forum, was it not? :o

So what about the XC90 then. Please enlighten my limited horizon, Master P. What is the "good information" that I miss? :confused:

I am very keen to learn...

Mr. P
08-10-2004, 02:27 PM
I am very keen to learn...

I drive a 928 every day a week at a time, swapping with a couple of other cars of similar pedigree for a week at a time. I have the full factory workshop manuals, and I do all of my own work to keep them on the road (except the really heavy stuff, like removing the transaxles, etc). I therefore have enough experience behind the wheel and under the hood, and under the car, with the marque to have a qualified opinion on the cars, and handling in general. Got a question, fire away, I'll let you know when you've missed something else.

Mr. P