PDA

View Full Version : Security packag

Lane
08-25-2003, 12:07 PM
Hello everyone.  Picked up my XC90 on Saturday and have a question for you (can't call the deal for awhile).

What do a few of the seciryt options really do?

Laminated windows:  What's that for?
Mass Movement Sensor:  I jumped on the bumper with the alarm on, and nothing happened.
Infrared Windshield and Front Side Windows:  Any ideas on this one?

Thanks for any help everyone.

-Tige
Blue/Taupe 2004 T6 - Everything except backup warning and navigation.  Adding Hitch, Nerf bars, other minors this week.

mrb
08-25-2003, 09:48 PM
I opted for the laminated windows in my XC 70 because the dealer said it made a big differnce in cutting down road noise from the all weather tires.

BEST4X4XFAR
08-26-2003, 06:24 AM
Hello Lane,

The laminated windows serve the same purpose as your windshield being laminated. If they are broken, the laminating film glued between the layers of glass holds the glass together in one sheet, instead of it disintegrating into a million tiny pieces as a regular piece of tempered glass would do. (ever seen a windshield broken in an accident verses a side window broken in an accident?) I suppose it adds some security, as it is more difficult to break the window and gain access, but I would also think it is a nice safety feature, keeping the passengers from being covered in glass should a window get broken. It is also less likely to be penetrated by an object, adding some safety (this is how bullet proof glass is produced, by laminating it, not that I am suggesting the windows are bullet proof, because I am not, but similar technology is used to bullet proof windows).

The Mass Motion sensor, as I understand it, is a proximity type sensor, and should set the alarm off if there is an object of significant mass (like an arm) that it senses moving within the interior of the vehicle. Instead of jumping up and down on the bumper, try sitting in the car, and having a friend or significant other arm the system, wait a few seconds, and see if moving around sets it off.

The Infrared glass is suppose to reflect the heat energy from the sun, thereby reducing the interior temperature rise caused by the greenhouse effect of the cars closed interior. This would, in theory, mean that there would be less increase in temperature of a car parked in the sun, and it would be easier to maintain the temperature of the vehicle when driving in the heat of the day. I like the Security pack option myself…

~Scott T.

Lane
08-26-2003, 03:59 PM
Great.  Thanks for the info Scott.  I still have not been able to call or get down to volvo to ask them (but I always have inet access).

Fun things to try when I get home.  Now off to get my floor mats that they ordered for me.  http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

-Lane

Edit:  Tested he Mass Motion Sensor.  30 seconds after you Arm the vehicle you can hear a small "click" noise from the dash.  If you then move around a bit you will set off the alarm.  I did a few tests, and I think it would probably catch anyone snatching a purse off the seat if they didn't know it was on and move very slow.  You can also hear a small "click" from about the same location when the motion sensor is tripped.

webpj
08-26-2003, 09:58 PM
security glass (http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/43816/article.html)

Big
08-27-2003, 08:23 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mrb @ Aug. 25 2003,21:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I opted for the laminated windows in my XC 70 because the dealer said it made a big differnce in cutting down road noise from the all weather tires.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
According to other posts I&#39;ve seen the security glass makes only a slight difference in noise. On the XC90 you also lose the window tinting.

webpj
08-28-2003, 08:09 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Big @ Aug. 27 2003,08:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mrb @ Aug. 25 2003,21:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I opted for the laminated windows in my XC 70 because the dealer said it made a big differnce in cutting down road noise from the all weather tires.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
According to other posts I&#39;ve seen the security glass makes only a slight difference in noise. On the XC90 you also lose the window tinting.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
after market tinting is available, there are good safety reasons for the glass it should be standard along with a good window tininting, after all this is a Volvo, why make a safety feature optional it goes against the grain&#33;

Big
09-01-2003, 08:08 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (webpj @ Aug. 28 2003,20:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...there are good safety reasons for the glass it should be standard along with a good window tininting, after all this is a Volvo, why make a safety feature optional it goes against the grain&#33;[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
In some crashes you need to exit the car by smashing the side window. This past winter we came across a rollover where the driver was able to climb out through the window. A laminated window might have trapped him inside. Another situation I&#39;ve read about is when the car is submerged.

webpj
09-03-2003, 04:59 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Big @ Sep. 01 2003,20:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In some crashes you need to exit the car by smashing the side window. This past winter we came across a rollover where the driver was able to climb out through the window. A laminated window might have trapped him inside. Another situation I&#39;ve read about is when the car is submerged.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
No offense intended, but thats the kind of logic people use to not wear seat belts etc, the very rare person who survive&#39;s an accident because they are not wearing their seatbelt and they are thrown safely from the car. &nbsp;By far the rare exception to the rule&#33; &nbsp;Most people thrown from their vehicles die or are severely injured, trust me on this one, I speak from experience&#33; &nbsp;Additionally, unless you are evacuating your car from the get go when it splashes down you&#39;re not likely to break a window under water with or without safety glass unless you have a hammer sitting next to you&#33; &nbsp;When the car fills with water you need to open the door when pressure is equal&#33; &nbsp;I&#39;m not an expert on this, but I have seen this demo&#39;d in different areas of the media&#33;

Big
09-03-2003, 10:01 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (webpj @ Sep. 03 2003,16:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No offense intended, but thats the kind of logic people use to not wear seat belts etc, the very rare person who survive&#39;s an accident because they are not wearing their seatbelt and they are thrown safely from the car. By far the rare exception to the rule&#33; Most people thrown from their vehicles die or are severely injured, trust me on this one, I speak from experience&#33; Additionally, unless you are evacuating your car from the get go when it splashes down you&#39;re not likely to break a window under water with or without safety glass unless you have a hammer sitting next to you&#33; When the car fills with water you need to open the door when pressure is equal&#33; I&#39;m not an expert on this, but I have seen this demo&#39;d in different areas of the media&#33;[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
No offense taken but you are speculating as much as I am. We don&#39;t have any hard evidence that laminated side windows offer net positive benefit. As consumers we can only guess based on our own experience and perceptions. Although I can see some safety pluses in laminated side windows, I&#39;m skeptical of their overall value. The NHTSA studied them for 10 years before deciding last year not to require them. Car designers like them because they are lighter and can be colored, not because of safety. For Volvo&#39;s part, I find it interesting that they chose to put them in a security package which is quite different from safety.

toma nova
09-04-2003, 06:45 AM
I have experience with the laminated glass: &nbsp;we took a rock to the left passenger window that came perpendicular from traffic in the next lane. &nbsp;The sound was so loud, my wife thought it hit the door and amplified through the panel. &nbsp;The result was a 1/4&quot; round chip, about 1/8&quot; deep, with five cracks from it to the edges of the glass. &nbsp;I was fully expecting to see the back seat covered with pea-sized pieces of glass, based on experience. &nbsp;The chip / cracks only occured in the outside layer of glass; &nbsp;the inside layer was still smooth and intact. &nbsp;I actually pushed on the chip and cracks with all my weight and could not get the window to flex at all. &nbsp;Allstate glass coverage paid for the Vovlo replacement window and aftermarket tint.

I expect the aftermarket tint would have kept the broken peices together, but the laminted glass prevents the shattering in the first place.

Another reason why my wife and daughter have the XC&#33;&#33;

Tom

webpj
09-05-2003, 06:11 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Big @ Sep. 03 2003,22:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As consumers we can only guess based on our own experience and perceptions. Although I can see some safety pluses in laminated side windows, I&#39;m skeptical of their overall value. The NHTSA studied them for 10 years before deciding last year not to require them.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Safety Glass, why its important&#33; (http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/43816/article.html)

After reading this it seems there are more pluses than minuses

Big
09-05-2003, 11:22 PM
You&#39;ve linked to the edmunds article dated 01-01-3001 ?&#33; before. The primary safety benefits mentioned for laminated glass are &quot;protection from ejection, protection from flying glass.&quot; The first is for people who don&#39;t wear seatbeats--not me&#33;--and disregards head injuries caused by hitting the unyielding glass. The second I&#39;m not sure how much of a problem it is; the XC90 has curtain bags that screen the windows in crashes severe enough to shatter the glass.

Another safety benefit listed is &quot;protection from outside projectiles.&quot; For the windshield, perhaps, but injury caused by objects entering a side window is very rare.

webpj
09-06-2003, 10:53 AM
I expect they&#39;ll be on all cars within 10 years on the outside - safety sells, but takes time to be accepted mainstream