PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter - Where is it?

gregj
05-27-2002, 09:14 AM
Okay, can someone point me to the oil filter!  I am a moderate level mechanic, limit myself to oil changes, tuneups, tire rotations.  Over the weekend I decided to change the oil on the XC, 3000 mi.  For the life of me I could not find the canister from the top of the engine compartment.  I did not however raise the car and remove the protective shrouding under the engine.  

I have a pump to draw the oil from the dipstick slot and figuring the cartridge oil filter would be easily accessible from the top, as it is in my 535, I could do the change in 15 minutes.  Is this truly a simple oil change job or something I have to refer to the dealer?  I hate to pay $50+ for an oil change too, but I have my limits, time is money!

Thanks for you help,
Greg.

coastal
05-27-2002, 10:57 AM
Flip the car upside down and take a look on the passenger side just behind the bumper.

Car's out on the town right now so I can't be 100% certain, but the circled item looks to be what you're looking for. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

gregj
05-27-2002, 11:18 AM
Thanks Coastal!  I'll take a look when I get home.

mox575
05-28-2002, 06:57 PM
Hi! Greg
You may have already checked things out but, I changed my oil today on my 2001.
Couldn't have been much easier. Removed the plastic protective cover. Unscrewed the plastic filter housing. Removed the filter element(INSERT) and O-Ring. Installed new. Oil pan plug faces the rear of the wagon and is easily accessible.
Filter is located as shown in previous photo(in front on the passenger side). I paid 6.99 USD for the insert and o-ring. I saw it listed at IPD for 5.99USD, but, there's shipping to consider. Most places that I checked, did not stock the filter, it was a special order item.
Hope this helps.

Take care

Lance

gregj
05-29-2002, 09:59 AM
Hi Lance,

I did look under the car last night and like you said, all I saw were plastic covers.  Do you need to remove all of the covers to access the filter and drain plug?

I found the same thing when trying to buy the filter at a local auto parts store.  It was a special order and their list price was $18!  Needless to say I didn't buy it.  I checked on-line and I guess if you buy several of them it's worth the shipping.  I'll check the dealer.

Any more insight on the removal of the plastic covers underneath is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Greg.

mox575
05-29-2002, 11:20 PM
Hi! Greg
Yes you have to remove the front cover. There are about 8 bolts. It's not difficult if you can jack the front end up(I used a floor jack and placed a jack stand under just in case). I think the portable ramps would be the way to go. Once the cover is off, the filter is very accessable. One thing that I found out, the O-Ring placement is very important. There is a groove in the black plastic filter cover that you remove to get at the element. The threads on it are about one inch. About half way down is a groove for the O-Ring. Don't place the O-Ring a the base of the threads or you will  have oil all over the place. Check the placement of the O-Ring when you remove the cover and you will see what I mean. Other than that, it was very simple.
Hope this helps.

Lance

gregj
05-30-2002, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the clarification Lance!  I'll put it on the ramps and check it out.

Greg.

philip lindsey
10-02-2002, 07:45 AM
i just ordered some Volvo brand filter elements.  do they come with the o-rings?

wiz
10-02-2002, 08:46 AM
Yes.

Hiro's XC
10-02-2002, 01:06 PM
You can also buy the volvo factory skid plate for less than the IPD one. About $80 less. That has a cut out in it so you don't have to remove the darn thing each time. Or just cut a hole in the plastic with a dremel or a roto-zip tool.  http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif

Topsiders for oil changes are the cats meow. You can get them at any marine store for $30-$40.