PDA

View Full Version : Flooding - New Enginge Required

volvoh20
12-10-2001, 10:18 AM
Our XC (bought new 11/2001) sucked water into the engine after we crawled through a puddle while leaving a shopping center. We were simply following a line of cars that were slowly making their way through the puddle and...poof! water in the engine and bam! NEW ENGINE REQUIRED!!

The problem: the engine's air intake sits UNDER the front fender!!

The head mechanic at our dealer told me it has happened to EIGHT other XC owners at our dealership since '98 ----

Anyone else??

In response to some posts: Head mechanic told me he tailgates people when going through puddles to avoid same problem...hoping their wake will give him necessary clearance. Volvo National customer service literally argued that I should have not gone through the puddle(!)...It was not covered under warranty because it was an "external force." This was, in all honesty, a puddle we hit while leaving a shopping center!

Ah...deceptive/false advertising anyone? Fraud perhaps?

(Edited by volvoh20 at 4:18 pm on Dec. 10, 2001)

(Edited by volvoh20 at 2:14 pm on Dec. 11, 2001)

V70Sam
12-10-2001, 02:05 PM
Hard to believe that you'd need a new engine for that.... Seems a bit extreme.   I also think that volvo should have put that intake a bit higher on the XC.

coastal
12-10-2001, 02:15 PM
Is this for a gen1 or gen2 car?

I haven't taken a look at this but I wonder if there's some way of changing the location of the intake aside from installing a snorkel. :o

zundapp
12-11-2001, 05:14 AM
Sorry to hear your bad news, but I find this hard to believe.
The engine air intake is situated behind the radiator grille, if you open the bonnet/Hood you can see the box and air pipe on the right. I frequently wade my 01 XC through a local stream crossing that is usually around 1 foot deep.

Davidr

coastal
12-11-2001, 11:50 AM
http://www.caranddriver.com.tw/41/roadtest/vovle_xc2.jpg

adanista
12-12-2001, 02:49 PM
Nice photo, Coastal. That seems to settle it the issue! That said, puddles around town can be deceptively deep. Better to move through slowly if you're unsure.

mox575
12-12-2001, 10:14 PM
Hi! ALL
just went out to check my 2001. I found the air intake at the top area of the grill. Above the radiator. Unless water was splashed up to it, I think it would be difficult to get water up that high. Take it slow through deep water and keep the engine revs up. Use the Geartronic in first gear.

Art
12-12-2001, 10:34 PM
Can't argue with that, unless of course, you own one of these: :biggrin:

http://www.swedespeed.com/resources/gallery/cars/02_xc/01_xc_ocean/large/06.jpg

(Edited by Art at 10:38 pm on Dec. 12, 2001)