PDA

View Full Version : Break in period  ?

DocVolvo
08-22-2003, 02:36 PM
Is there a break in period for this vehicle or do you just pick it up and drive as fast as you can?

thank you

MrsDocVolvo
08-22-2003, 06:26 PM
Since nobody replied here, I thought I might add to it so others may see & be informed.

Goto the following link for some SERIOUS information that anyone should know, that has a new vehicle.

Jraymond gave us this great link from the swedespeed site:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=8274

http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif

DocVolvo
08-22-2003, 06:47 PM
Yes, I read that link and agree with intermittent speeds and avoiding high rpm's with a new vehicle. But, here is our dilemma.  We plan on picking up our XC-90 on (Tuesday) in Goteburg and driving to Denmark and possibly to Hamburg, Germany the same day.  How do we vary the speeds on the highways without really pi$$ing the other motorists off and causing multiple accidents?  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

thank you

Lane
08-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Take two days and all the backroads maybe?  Have fun.

-Lane

GeorgeXC70
08-24-2003, 09:32 AM
You dont hve to vary the spee that much.  Just by about 10 mph.  Start about 5 mph below and go upto 5mph above and also for variety over take cars sometime and other times slow down to get by them or change lanes, etc.

That should ive you enough variation.  I always thought it was important to vary the rpms and not so much the speed, which is a lot easier to do.

-George

Willy
08-30-2003, 04:52 PM
You shouldn't use the tempomat either, that way your speed will always vary a little.
You could also try to avoid too much highways. But it's no problem, the worst that will happen is that while driving at constant speed on a highway, the breaking-in does not advance by much since this proccess happens mostly when oiling/greasing is at a theshold. This situation occurs when the engine is started/stopped and also when the revs are varied.
If you drive in Germany, your speed will vary more than enough simply by following the traffic.
Have fun,
Willy