PDA

View Full Version : D5 diesel motor for xc90?

DieselPusher
09-29-2002, 05:59 PM
I have read about the new D5 diesel motor on the volvo site. It sounds really great on paper, so I would be interested in hearing about more about people's experiences who own a volvo with this engine. I am specifically concerned about its reliability and noise. Does anyone know if this motor is or will be available in the US on the XC90? If not, is there a way to import an XC90 with this motor from europe?

William
09-29-2002, 09:43 PM
Diesel Pusher,

Unfortunately the D5 is not available as an engine option for the XC90 in the US. It is also not available via the Volvo Overseas Delivery Program. Actually none of Volvo's diesel engines are offered for US spec cars. I wish they were though, as I have customers who would like a diesel powered Volvo.

William

DieselPusher
09-30-2002, 12:17 AM
can I buy the SUV in europe and import it? Is it legal to do that? Is it substantially more expensive to do that, compared to buying it here? And why do you think that volvo does not want to sell a diesel SUV in the US?

Willy
09-30-2002, 02:04 AM
Hello DieselPusher,
From what I heard, the new diesel engines will not work well with the diesel fuel in the US (sulpher content among other things).
Although this might be a hoax it is probably useful to find out before you decide to import one.
Willy

wiz
09-30-2002, 06:56 AM
DieselPusher, it's entirely possible that importing a vehicle from Europe that was not manufactured to comply with US regulatory rules could be very expensive. You would presumably have to retrofit whatever was necessary to bring the car into line with US code. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif