PDA

View Full Version : 2015 XC70 Sulfur smell

jtmlkm
12-24-2018, 01:24 PM
I just bought my first Volvo. I have about 2000 miles left on the warranty so am worried about everything at this point. I noticed a sulfur smell coming from the exhaust. I Googled it and it mentioned the catalytic converter. Could it just be the gas I put in or should I notify my dealer of this and plan to have it looked at. I am going on a 2000 mile + journey tomorrow and it will be out of warranty before I return.

One more issue I noticed was some staining on the ceiling panel in the trunk area. Could the roof rail area be leaking? I had that happen on a different car.

pbierre
12-24-2018, 03:19 PM
One concern is whether the car was smog-tested for your purchase. Does Iowa do smog tests? Can it pass as is?

Check the Warranty Manual for your car. Here's the 2015 model year:

https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/manuals/2015/2015-Volvo-Warranty-Manual-v1.pdf

(Could your's be a 2015.5? ... different Manual)

The Emissions System Warranties are explained in this Manual... if you have the 3.2 non-turbo engine built for the CA standard, you might have lucked out. If it's a PZEV vehicle, the Emission Systems parts are warranteed for 150K miles.

For the Turbo engines, my fast read of the Warranty is that the Catalytic and ECM are warranteed up to 80,000 miles. But these only apply to
cars that were built to the CA, WA standard. There's a label on the underside of the hood that gives the Emissions Standard your Volvo was built to.

Otherwise, the 50K mile, 3-year warranty applies.

hoonk
12-24-2018, 04:38 PM
I have about 2000 miles left on the warranty

I noticed a sulfur smell coming from the exhaust. I Googled it and it mentioned the catalytic converter.

I noticed was some staining on the ceiling panel in the trunk area.

Sulfur smell is usually from an incorrect mixture, but can simply be from the blend of the gas or somewhat normal for the vehicle. If the mixture is incorrect enough you will get a check engine light. It may not have malfunctioned enough to set a code, but still could have a pending code. I would express your concern to your dealer - maybe he will look for pending codes that could indicate a fuel mixture problem - but unfortunately if nothing shows up - there will be nothing to fix but it will be on record as a compliant.

The cargo area headliner stain could be coming from the power cargo door mechanism (if your car has a power tailgate) or the cargo door struts. Sometimes the cargo struts leak and will stain the headliner - You should have that looked at BEFORE your 4 year 50,000 mile warranty is up. Headliners are $$$$

jtmlkm
01-02-2019, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the input. I did check and the catalytic converter is under warranty until 80,000 miles. I just got back from a 2200 mile road trip and everything went well. The sulfur smell is light and very intermittent. I'll have it checked the next time its at the dealer.

Regarding the stained headliner, it appears to be water staining from leaks in the back hatch and around the sunroof. Maybe high pressure wash or something did it. I plan to clean the headliner and hopefully get the staining out. If it comes back, I will have it checked out.

I have the 2015.5 model with the four cylinder turbo. Should I be using premium fuel?

hoonk
01-02-2019, 08:56 PM
I have the 2015.5 model with the four cylinder turbo. Should I be using premium fuel?

If you want the most horsepower/torque from your engine - yes. If not buy the cheapest gas you can find and deal the the lack of power/possible bad smells.

The engine will compensate for lack of octane by retarding the timing, limiting the maximum out put of the engine. If you just tool around town, car pool, trip to mall, etc. and never use full throttle - you would never notice the lack of power.