PDA

View Full Version : Lift Gate Struts-Electric alternatives?

DennisM
11-28-2018, 03:56 AM
Hey,
I have a 2013 XC-60 with the electric tailgate struts. The original ones failed a little over a year ago and I replaced them with new OEM parts. Last week one was locked up in the extended position and I had to remove it and cut the wires to get the trunk lid to close. The other one seemed barely operable. Ultimately, I hacked that one too. (I use my trunk a lot). At $245 each, I would rather go to gas struts that are manual. Has anyone found a source that fit and work well? I tried a set from BOXI LIftgate and the socket was twice the size as the knuckle on the car.

Thanks,

Dennis

hoonk
11-28-2018, 02:33 PM
I would rather go to gas struts that are manual.

The attached pages from the parts catalog show power and non power struts - it look like the mounting balls, maybe mounting brackets are different - and there are different part numbers depending on what factory it was made in. So you could buy a xc60 without power opening - but how many parts would you need to convert one? Note the electric struts use a 10mm ball stud and the manual uses a 13mm (the mounting ball on the tailgate)

DennisM
11-28-2018, 03:51 PM
That would lead me to believe that I could change out the ball studs to the 13's and go to gas. May have to pop into a dealer and order some. $2.00 each seems like a doable experiment. Thanks hoonk, I appreciate that.