PDA

View Full Version : 2005 XC70 throttle body cleaning

Rydjor
09-24-2018, 06:52 PM
Hi - I have a 2005 XC70 and need to clean the ETM (throttle body). It's located in a tight spot, difficult to get at. I've watched a couple of youtube videos showing removing a few different parts, including the fan shroud, to allow you to get at the throttle body and hose screw to clean it. Does anyone have a method to clean or remove it they can share?

Thanks,

Pat Geraghty

howardc64
09-25-2018, 12:03 AM
First time for me was PITA, fan off and everything. A few more times later (when I was experimenting with modifying ETM with a contactless throttle position sensor), no fan shroud removal and 15min job. Here is the write up on all the tricks. Key is familiarize with all the geometry of parts and know where to apply forces.

https://app.box.com/s/cjh7pkl0cs

Hardest part was reinstalling the plastic pipe from the intercooler to the ETM. 3 key steps makes this much easier

1. Hook up the side with intercooler first. This gets the ETM and pipe opening aligned in 1 direction
2. loosen the clamp that clamps to the ETM opening on this pipe and let it dangle on the U part of the pipe. This leaves the pipe opening nice and bare for you to "feel" the pipe lip evenly surrounding the ETM opening
3. Apply a little grease on the pipe lip so it slips on to the ETM

Once you can feel the pipe opening is evenly wrapped around the ETM opening (no clamp to mess up your feel for this alignment, pipe not moving in 1 dimension since its connected to the intercooler, and a little grease on the pipe opening that helps), a nice tug upwards force will snap it onto the ETM opening.

First time this step took me like 2-3 hours and on subsequent removal discovered I had folded the pipe lip while fitting it onto the ETM.

Anyhow, likely longer for first time but I was amazed later on I could do all this is like 15min.

Rydjor
09-25-2018, 06:43 AM
Wow Howard - thanks for the information, I'll follow your instructions and let you know how it comes out!

Pat Geraghgty

Pennhaven
09-25-2018, 06:44 AM
When I did my '04 it was much more challenging than I anticipated. By far the biggest issue was releasing the electrical connector from the throttle body. It was hugely frustrating. Second challenge, as Howard mentions, was the intercooler pipe. See post. (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?24725-ETM-(Throttle-Body)-Cleaning&p=165474#post165474) No need to remove the fan though, or disconnect the battery - if you take precautions.

AKAMick
09-25-2018, 08:29 AM
Hi - I have a 2005 XC70 and need to clean the ETM (throttle body). It's located in a tight spot, difficult to get at. I've watched a couple of youtube videos showing removing a few different parts, including the fan shroud, to allow you to get at the throttle body and hose screw to clean it. Does anyone have a method to clean or remove it they can share?

Thanks,

Pat Geraghty

Do it during the PCV service and you accomplish both at the same time, much easier, as you are removing it for access to the PCV system.

howardc64
09-25-2018, 09:01 AM
No need to remove the fan though, or disconnect the battery - if you take precautions.

Good suggestion since we've seen frying the CCM with battery removal and install sequence is not followed. Not as simple as one expect. Definitely cover up those starter connections with a towel (maybe a big one to avoid easily pushing it away) to avoid contact when operating blind under the intake manifold with a ratchet with long extensions on that ETM opening clamp.

Xfingers
09-26-2018, 04:30 AM
Standard procedure also requires that you use a new gasket when reinstalling the cleaned throttle body - not expensive.