PDA

View Full Version : Shops with Vida Dice recommendations in Central/Western Washington

crisnumber2
08-13-2018, 02:07 PM
Hello all,

I have been lurking this forum for a while dealing with this 02 V70XC w/ 193,000 mi I just picked up.
Having hard 2-3 shifts often, and flares occasionally. Flushing fluid with Castrol ATF and doing a b4 servo cover update to try and alleviate the issue.
Problem is I still need a software update and an adaptive process done, and I am having issues finding a shop that has a Vida Dice to do it.
Wondering if anyone in the area has experience with any shops that have Vida Dice and are willing to do this.
Rather not have to go to Seattle (120 miles away) to get to the nearest dealership unless I have to, and thought I'd check here before calling all the dealerships over there and explaining what I want done to at least 5 different people. Probably a long shot but I kept seeing people mention they are in/from Seattle. Thanks!

howardc64
08-13-2018, 06:22 PM
software upgrade ranges between free with no service to free with 30k service depending on dealer. You might call Barriers in Bellevue or Tacoma Volvo to see what their policies are. You can also ask if they are okay to charge you fraction of an hour to trigger adaptation and allow you to do the drive cycle (pretty easy)

I have VIDA/DiCE and can trigger adaptation for you as well. I'm about 10 miles north if I-90 at Issaquah.

I'm guessing you likely need a valvebody if already flushed+b4 servo. Can certainly try TCM software first but it might have been done already. VIDA does read TCM software part number but I could never make sense of it.

Car is 200k miles and people might advise replace whole tranny. But rebuilt VBs are now around $200+ on ebay (no experience with workmanship but high volume US seller + good feedback numbers so good sign) thought I mention this not much to lose option. Actual job is not that hard (figure 5-6 hours over couple of days for first time), excellent directions posted under resources->How-To. I have a torque bar to suspend the engine for the job if you want to leave me a deposit :) Done it 2X so I can walk you through play by play.

crisnumber2
08-13-2018, 07:46 PM
Thanks Howard! I have not done the b4 yet but have done two drill/fill (sorry didn't mean flush) so 8 qt over the last month or so and will do one more after the b4 switch.
I'm sure you're right about the valve body, but I'm hoping I can buy a little time..

I have the b4 coming from IPD right now, and after I do that if it seems any better I might have to take you up on your offer to activate the adaption; who knows, maybe the last person already did the b4.

howardc64
08-13-2018, 09:27 PM
Thanks Howard! I have not done the b4 yet but have done two drill/fill (sorry didn't mean flush) so 8 qt over the last month or so and will do one more after the b4 switch.
I'm sure you're right about the valve body, but I'm hoping I can buy a little time..

I have the b4 coming from IPD right now, and after I do that if it seems any better I might have to take you up on your offer to activate the adaption; who knows, maybe the last person already did the b4.

B4 is not that easy the first time, google and see how everyone does it. Quite a bit of force is necessary to press cover in and squeezing circlip plier to remove the circlip. 3 hands helps unless you can make a tool to keep the cover pressed inwards.

Don't let the tranny bang around too long and cause the gear train getting worn. Once that happens, fixing the VB (hydraulics) won't cure gear+clutch+sleeve wear.

crisnumber2
08-15-2018, 04:45 PM
Unfortunately I do not know how long she has been banging. Hopefully the person I got it off of sold it to me right when it started. Thanks for your advice.

AKAMick
08-15-2018, 04:51 PM
Adding an after market transmission cooler can help improve the shifting quality, as you probably notice it does it more when it is warmed up, and when you are in heavy stop and go traffic and in hot weather.