PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Transfer Case Elimination - Still a few questions...

Eddystone
07-03-2018, 12:13 AM
I'm looking at a 1999 S70 AWD in excellent shape EXCEPT that the transfer case is bad (at this point noisy). I've read a number of threads about converting these cars to FWD, and they seem to either be not clear or contradict each other. Please help.

1. I know the right axle goes through the transfer case. Can pull the axle, remove the case and reinstall the axle.
2. OR do you just remove the drive shaft? Seems as if you'd have loose ends flopping around fore and aft.
3. One poster said there would be torque steer problems. True?
4. If you do remove the transfer case, is there some interface or gap that must be sealed with a plate of some sort?

I would really appreciate answers to this question. I know I need to do more research, but I need to give an answer on this car.

BEJinFBK
07-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Pull the drive shaft. Nothing will flop around.
A large percentage of P80 AWD owners have
done this, usually due to mismatched tires.
If the noise goes away, get on with your life.

If not, the bevel gear (transfer case)
can be removed without too much trouble.

It will have just as much torque steer as any
other FWD of the era under heavy acceleration.

Eddystone
07-04-2018, 03:58 PM
BEJinFBK : Thanks very much for your response![thumbup]

hoonk
07-05-2018, 03:23 PM
If you do remove the transfer case, is there some interface or gap that must be sealed with a plate of some sort?.

as discussed in many threads, if you remove the transfer case you must make sure the sleeve does not fall out, methods include glue, a custom bracket or a hose clamp around the axle. I use a glue like jb weld to glue the sleeve into the transmission.

8pack
01-11-2019, 08:16 PM
Search on my name, something like bevel gear removal or bypass. I have pictures an all from a 2001. LOOKS LIKE THIS IS AN OLDER POST....Answer below for future reference....

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?19013-Bevel-Gear-Bypass-Pics-Instructions&highlight=bevel+gear