PDA

View Full Version : Lost power, died, start died and no start

olevolvo
03-10-2018, 07:52 PM
Hi again, I upgraded to a 2005 xc70. Now has 230,000 . My daughter called on the side of the road. I checked fluid levels and intercooler lines. Turned over,started and idled very smooth for 30 seconds. Then it died and wouldn't start again. I'll put it on the trailer and pull it home in the morning. Any suggestions where to start trouble shooting. Thanks! Ole

Tahoe_XC
03-10-2018, 08:35 PM
Hi again, I upgraded to a 2005 xc70. Now has 230,000 . My daughter called on the side of the road. I checked fluid levels and intercooler lines. Turned over,started and idled very smooth for 30 seconds. Then it died and wouldn't start again. I'll put it on the trailer and pull it home in the morning. Any suggestions where to start trouble shooting. Thanks! Ole

Start by checking fuel and fuel systems

AKAMick
03-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Inject starting fluid in the intake, if it fires for a short while, it is your fuel delivery system,

Willy
03-11-2018, 01:16 AM
Retrieving codes could eliminate (some) guesswork, I guess [cool2]

billr99
03-11-2018, 05:52 AM
I had this happen on my R just a couple of weeks ago. Turned out to be a fair amount of water in the fuel after we had an extended period of rain, high humidity, and the gas station getting water in its storage tanks (at least that's what I am thinking). Needed to get a couple of bottles of dry gas into it before it would even idle albeit very roughly. After a few minutes of that, it smoothed out and been fine ever since. Of course, the car threw a code for a throttle error but that was cleared and it has also not returned. Guess the suggestion here is do a scan but note any resulting codes a bit suspiciously if you have any indications that it might just be bad fuel.

Good Luck,

Bill

olevolvo
03-11-2018, 07:37 AM
Sounds great! Thanks for the ideas, I'll start back at the fuel filter and start working forward, also try the fluid/breather test.

olevolvo
03-11-2018, 07:39 AM
I'll try to read codes today too.

Willy
03-15-2018, 07:57 AM
Any progress yet?

olevolvo
03-17-2018, 03:12 PM
Fuel pump is not clicking on. I read some posts about checking the fuel pump relay, cam and crank position sensors. Does that sound like a good next step?

olevolvo
03-17-2018, 08:03 PM
Another thing that was happening over the last month was the fuel gauge would fail to register from time to time and on two occasions got the reduced performance message. Both corrected by turning off and re starting the car.

olevolvo
03-18-2018, 11:23 AM
Got the back seat out and pulled the cover. Pump does cycle with ignition. No fuel coming from outlet. Gurgling sound from tank.

ssicarman
03-18-2018, 01:52 PM
Dump a gallon or so of fuel in the tank and see if it starts.

olevolvo
03-18-2018, 04:10 PM
Put 2 gallons in, cycled it 10 times, buzz ................ no fuel. Pulled the fuel pump out, may try to bench test it before ordering a new one. Not sure which contacts fire the motor, but assume black is ground??

pbierre
03-18-2018, 08:07 PM
There's a simple way to assess the fuel pressure up at the engine.

There is a Schraeder valve (like on bicycle tire) on the fuel rail above the intake manifold. It's easy to test if you're developing fuel pressure by depressing the stem of this valve. Cover with a rag first, as it will spew gasoline spray when fuel pump is working correctly.

Tahoe_XC
03-18-2018, 09:01 PM
Put 2 gallons in, cycled it 10 times, buzz ................ no fuel. Pulled the fuel pump out, may try to bench test it before ordering a new one. Not sure which contacts fire the motor, but assume black is ground??

Since you have it out just replace it: Bosch 69746 Original Equipment Replacement Electric Fuel Pump is $146 on amazon. Prime you will have it in two days.

olevolvo
03-18-2018, 09:17 PM
Found a new Bosch on eBay local. Could pick it up tomorrow. Thank you very much for the suggestions!

olevolvo
03-31-2018, 02:45 PM
I replaced the fuel pump. Turn key, pump buzzes, gurgles, no fuel. Dumped two more gallons in. No go.

olevolvo
04-01-2018, 01:19 PM
Removed pem, about two table spoons of corrosion in the box. Think I found the culprit.

olevolvo
04-07-2018, 06:43 PM
Willy let's the award for suggesting checking codes. However my OBD2 and Car gauge pro or torque pro can not retrieve the volvo pids. I'm surprised that droid developers haven't worked around it yet.

Anyhow working from the rear Schrader valve and only looking at one side of the coin (fuel pump), which it was not, even though it had power to it at ignition. Ding ding ding, it was the pem. Thanks for the suggestions and support!