PDA

View Full Version : Sea foam hydra trans tune?

stills
03-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Anyone ever use Sea Foam hydra trans tune?
My tranny cooler flooded my transmission. I’ve replaced radiator and flushed and drained my coolant, but still have moisture. The sea foam is supposed to control moisture.

https://seafoamsales.com/hydra-trans-tune/

ericjp
03-04-2018, 06:34 AM
How did you flush the fluid? Gibbons method, or just drain and fill? The transtune does work on varnish to a degree.

pbierre
03-04-2018, 07:37 AM
What was the first symptom of this problem? How did you determine that coolant was leaked into the tranny fluid?

hoonk
03-04-2018, 07:55 AM
Sea Foam hydra trans tune?

An excerpt copied from your link -

"Do not use Hydra Trans Tune with silicon fluids or Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) systems. Always refer to engine manufacturer specifications.
Hydra Trans Tune contains only petroleum ingredients and intended for conventional automatic transmission systems that use petroleum oil or mineral-based fluids."

IMHO - I wouldn't put that wallet lightening stuff in my lawn mower.

stills
03-04-2018, 09:22 AM
I did the gibbons method.
I bought the car knowing it had an issue. Basically I drove it home and changed the radiator. It shifted fine at first. I drove yesterday and it doesn’t want to shift into overdrive. My fluids still pink. I’m going to flush it more today. Guess I’ll put the sea foam on the shelf.

stills
03-04-2018, 10:24 AM
My in dash shift indicator stopped working. Worked most of the ride home. The manual shift doesn’t seem to work either. I don’t know if it did preveiously.

stills
03-10-2018, 03:15 PM
After more flushing and using the sea foam, it still won’t shift through the gears. Driving 55 I turn about 2800rpms. I’m new to Volvo am I missing something simple?

Xfingers
03-10-2018, 03:50 PM
My in dash shift indicator stopped working. Worked most of the ride home. The manual shift doesn’t seem to work either. I don’t know if it did preveiously.

Your trans may have gone into "Limp mode", a shutdown or "limited driveability" mode the trans computer (TCM) puts the car into when it detects some error in the transmission's performance. A sure sign your car is in limp mode is instead of "D" on the display, you'll see "-.-". Also, the geartronic manual shifting won't be operational. You'll also see a warning message like TRANSMISSION SERVICE REQUIRED. If you turn off the car, wait a few moments and then restart, the D will return along with your gear shifts. However, what ever condition which put your car in Limp Mode will likely return and you may find the car back in "-.-".

Not sure if this is your situation.

stills
03-10-2018, 04:03 PM
I guess it went into and won’t come out of limp home mode.

hoonk
03-10-2018, 05:08 PM
I’m new to Volvo am I missing something simple?

Yes, you have a bad transmission, sorry.

AKAMick
03-10-2018, 05:28 PM
What year is the car?. Vida scan could give you more information as to the transmission problems. transmissions are not VooDoo and can be repaired, but the expenditure is sometimes not worth it if you cannot do it yourself, if it is bad, remember you cannot make it any worse, so just give it your best effort, and make sure all externals, connections and linkages are sound and the ATF level is correct with the correct ATF used,

stills
03-10-2018, 06:01 PM
It’s an ‘05.
I disconnected the battery to reset the computer. Shift indicator showed P for a few seconds, then went to — before I shifted out of park.

AKAMick
03-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Is a TRANSMISSION SERVICE showing on the message window?, check harness connections to the transmission, and any others that you disturbed replacing the radiator, is the ATF still pink and cloudy rather than red and clear? really need a VIDA to check for transmission codes that a simple battery disconnect does not remove,

billr99
03-11-2018, 05:59 AM
After more flushing and using the sea foam, it still won’t shift through the gears. Driving 55 I turn about 2800rpms. I’m new to Volvo am I missing something simple?

Did you flush out the fluid with the Sea Foam in it after you allowed it to circulate? I tried this once on the '02 XC I had and had really horrible shifts while I was trying to get a good clean. Once I did a good, complete flush and replaced the Sea Foam-laced fluid with Valvoline Maxlife, the shifting got back to normal fairly soon after. Keep in mind that these boxes require a high friction fluid whereas SeaFoam is formulated around a low friction base. Although you might have a box going bad, you need to get the Sea Foam out of it and replaced with a decent to-spec fluid (I swear by MaxLife in these AW boxes) before you can ascertain whether you are losing the box or not.

Good Luck,

Bill

vtl
03-16-2018, 09:25 PM
I guess it went into and won’t come out of limp home mode.
Limp mode is the highest gear and throttle plate open at 2%, the car won't accelerate above ~10-15 MPH. "Transmission service urgent", if you have it, is the third gear only, which is better than fifth only, but at 55 MPH RPMs would be significantly higher than 2800.

What you describe is more like torque converter is not locking or slipping. Read the codes with DiCE/VIDA, it will tell the exact reason of fault mode.

From rebuilder's experience coolant leaked into ATF always ends in a transmission rebuild/replacement. Coolant can not be fully cleaned out without taking transmission apart, plus clutches and bearings quickly pay toll.