PDA

View Full Version : Start Prevented Try Again

lpl258
02-09-2018, 09:39 AM
If I installed a new antenna Ring and the problem is continuing dose anyone know what the next steps would be..

V70 XC AWD 2001.

checked fuses
antenna ring part numbers dont match, but new one lights up and appears functional...
havent checked battery volatage.
tried unlocking car 5 times and stuff.

Problem occured like so:
5am 25 degrees out, cold. Go to open car door with my single valet key(only key I have looks to be the orignal one).
twerk and try to get the cyclinder to turn, BF to some extent, trying to open the door. ya know frustration.
poured hot water into cyclinder that freed up the door lock. Get into car try to turn over "Start Prevented Try Again".

Could I of damaged the transponder trying to open the door?
volvo seems to think no way, not a key problem.

*Confirmed the part number had changed I installed correct antenna ring.

pbierre
02-09-2018, 10:24 AM
It's recommended to search on the exact text of the error message. Here's a thread on this site, but there are many others you can Google.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?11206-quot-Start-prevented-Try-again-quot-episode

lpl258
02-09-2018, 10:49 AM
It's recommended to search on the exact text of the error message. Here's a thread on this site, but there are many others you can Google.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?11206-quot-Start-prevented-Try-again-quot-episode

I may have missed a few, but Ive read through almost everything. Everyone points to same solutions. I made an account here just to bring up the issue again because I am getting nowhere (litterly the car isnt going anywhere);

lpl258
02-09-2018, 12:23 PM
Any advice regarding a damaged key what to look for how to tell if it is damaged?

Ive litterly read everything about this issue thats why im grave digging this issue up because I HAVE read everything.

pbierre
02-09-2018, 02:15 PM
You've got to give more information.

What Volvo-made keys do you have? What keys came with the car when you bought it?
If you only have the valet key, i.e., you don't even have an electronic key fob, why did you replace the antenna ring? The valet key has no
electronics, so it doesn't communicate electronically with the valet key. It only communicates with the fob.

What do you mean "antenna ring part numbers dont match, but new one lights up and appears functional"...what function did you get out of the car after installing the antenna ring? It "lights up"...what does "it" refer to?

"BF"????? C'mon, you want help?

"Could I of (sic) damaged the transponder trying to open the door?" What transponder? The one on the key fob? You implied that you don't possess a fob.

"Volvo seems to think no way". Who did you consult at Volvo? Did they inspect the car and key(s) being used?

My sense is you have a complex problem. You're going to have to get to a level of understanding about how the car's security system is designed....the role of the key fobs, their need to have unique codes embedded that match the immobilizer circuit. What things are programmed to trigger the "Start Prevented Try Again" circuit.

lpl258
02-09-2018, 03:06 PM
The volvo I have came with only a valet key.
I replaced the antenna ring because everything I had read about this issue seemed to point to a faulty antenna ring.
I was under the impression the valet key I have has an embedded chip in it that tells the car the key is valid for the vehicle. Might be throwing the wrong term around.
The antenna ring I pulled from the car had a different part number then the new antenna ring I put on. I called Volvo its just been superseded to that number so it is correct.
BF I meant brute force.

"What things are programmed to trigger the "Start Prevented Try Again" circuit."
Do you know where I could find more material for this issue?
Im trying to not go to volvo period. If I need a key Id like to be almost certain that's the issue.

Xfingers
02-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Give us some history. How long have you been driving the car? Is this the first time it happened? Have you had problems starting in cold temps before? If the car thinks it's being broken into, the Start Immobilizer will function to shut down the engine.

Astro14
02-10-2018, 05:52 AM
Give us some history. How long have you been driving the car? Is this the first time it happened? Have you had problems starting in cold temps before? If the car thinks it's being broken into, the Start Immobilizer will function to shut down the engine.

Recently bought on Craig’s List (for cheap)
Only came with valet key
Googled problem
Threw a part at it, based on Google
Too “smart” to take it to Volvo

That about right?

andyk95401
05-04-2018, 07:10 AM
Got into car try to turn over and received "Start Prevented Try Again". message ! First time i have EVER had this message... out in no man's land 75 miles from home , and help not available. Checked google for quick education, felt better that maybe a jump would help ,but it was at least 60 minutes away... so took a " mental break" to process options ... 20 minutes later tried to start again ...and it did ! Took no chances, got home and parked car and started to read Volvo threads on this problem. lots of possibilities ... but very common thread was ... low voltage battery could be causing lots of issues! easiest direction for a fix was ... have battery load tested for ability to actually start car... Surprised greatly when two places ! confirmed battery was about to go (it WAS over 6 years old) , but car would start... barely.
Current car is 2005 xc70 with 178,000 on it, runs well. specs call for a 600 cca (cold cranking amps) unit ( i live in mid state CA) , so cold is not an issue, per say . I had no problem upgrading battery to a newer more oomps CCA Bosch 36/96 Month Battery 760CCA/910CA - RESERVE MIN = 120 - 70 AH - REPLACEMENT BATTERY - ...

REASON ... it was the most sensible service item to do (irregardless of ALL other possible causes for car not starting) ... it seems that the threads were correct... since replacement of the "BAD" battery , i have not had any restart problems,, mo matter what key i use, nor temp outside , nor no of keys on chain, nor me nor wife , starting car. it could still be something else ... ( my next move would be to RR the antenna ring and deal with it) based on the threads.... but FYI to all ... have your battery checked, jump starting gets ya home, or to a battery testing place, and it is the easiest first step towards diagnosis of why me !!! START Prevented ! etc... PS this does keep money in YOUR pocket, if you are so inclined... dealer $$ per hour are worth 2-3 batteries ! thank you forum people... practical solutions to "eh" issues!