PDA

View Full Version : 2001 V70XC Throttle Replacement

sabbates
01-22-2018, 10:56 AM
I just removed and cleaned the throttle body on my 2001 V70XC. It used to have a rough idle, now it is smooth.

I noticed it is electrically controlled, however. If I need to replace it in the future, do I need to have it programmed to the car?

Thanks

howardc64
01-22-2018, 11:18 AM
The main failure on the 01 Magnetti Marelli ETM are the 2 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) on the side that measures throttle plate opening angle. They are just contact based potentiometers and wear out like old stereo amplifier volume controls.

Lots of ebay sellers (and I now see it on Amazon market place also) sell aftermarket contact less TPS (magnetic angle sensor) from Chinese manufacturer called Sacer SA300. I believe Xemodex is the original designer. You do have to scrape off a bunch of epoxy material and solder "difficult to solder" alloy contacts to mount the new TPS. My website in signature line have pointers to directions. Alternatively, you can just send it to Xemodex for replacement.

Another member (FirstVolvo) got a few ETMs to test his own TPS solution (custom mount a magnetic angle sensor and also helped me with my own attempt. I believe we could use any "used" same model ETMs without programming. However, if you buy a brand new ETM, I believe you need to have it programmed. You might contact FirstVolvo to see what he remembers.