PDA

View Full Version : 2005 XC70 Won't drive sub zero

googabee
01-02-2018, 09:49 AM
So like much of the country, we are suffrin the super cold temps here in the northeast.

I haven't driven the car in several days. Today when attempting some errands, the car started okay. But when I put it in gear and pulled out of the driveway, it drove very sluggishly, and made a crunching type sound (I think from the front wheels) like I was driving over thick snow.

At first I thought it a flat, but tires are inflated okay. When attempting to accelerate, the engine revs much more than it should, to go at low speed.

It seems like something is frozen up in the brakes or wheels. Though I hadn't had the e brake on.

Has anyone had this issue? I'm hoping once it warms up a bit (into the teens today) whatever is stuck will loosen up, as I do need to run those errands. Thanks much for any assistance. I'm in big trub trubs if my car doesn't work!

Astro14
01-02-2018, 10:23 AM
Is the "W" selected on the transmission?

De-select it, if you've enabled the Winter mode, it'll make the car very sluggish.

I assume you've done no other troubleshooting, other than a cursory visual inspection of the tires?

So, no idea of the transmission fluid level? Actual tire pressure? Snow stuck in the wheel wells, or brake calipers?

Any warning or caution lights illuminated on the dashboard?

I've got friends with a 2006 XC70 in Stowe, their car is fine this morning, so it's not the temperatures, per se, it's that the temperatures have revealed a problem with your car.

googabee
01-02-2018, 10:55 AM
Thank you. I've only put about 5k on the car since buying in july, 2016. Had the trans fluid changed about 4k ago but have not checked it since. The 'W' on the gearbox is off. Warming the car up now and will attempt to check trans fluid level, though that makes me a lil nervous. Only recent message is the 'due for regular service' which I assumed was just an oil change or some mileage based message. Has good mobil 1 in the engine.

Astro14
01-02-2018, 11:13 AM
Yeah - the "due for regular service" is a simple timer: 7,500 miles or 365 days. So, whoever last changed the oil either did so over a year ago, or forgot to reset the service reminder.

The grinding sound is worrisome, but snow piles up and refreezes in odd places and causes some strange noises, so hopefully, that's the cause of the sound.

Sluggish and revving higher? Well, that is often the winter mode...or parking brake stuck...or transmission trouble. Cold, and I mean really cold, fluid, shrinks. With low fluid level, your transmission won't work properly.

googabee
01-02-2018, 12:53 PM
Thanks much for the insights, Astro14.

Pleased to report that after warming up a bit 'Ruby Jean' (she is ruby red metallic) ran smooth and clean, for a good 40 or so mile trip. I treated'er to a nice $12 warsh to show my appreciation. I don't drive much, so for now I'll attribute this morning's gummed-up performance to having sat for about a week in absurdly cold conditions.

Astro14
01-02-2018, 03:25 PM
It was -24F in Stowe this morning.

How cold was it for you?

googabee
01-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Thankfully not that bad, -- 4 according to the volvo when I tried to head out around 11 this morning. But probably averaging around zero for the last week or so. I'm down in the CT river valley, but it's still too gat dang cold!

Xfingers
01-03-2018, 07:35 AM
In the cold temps, let her warm up for 3-4 minutes before engaging the trans.

DanoT
01-06-2018, 08:29 AM
What does the "W" button do to the transmission?

Astro14
01-06-2018, 09:31 AM
What does the "W" button do to the transmission?

Won't let it shift into first gear. Keeps it in second (maybe 3rd? I'm not sure) for a standing start, which reduces torque considerably...and warms up the torque converter rapidly from all the slip...so, makes the car feel really sluggish, and the engine revs without the car moving much...

I never use it. If you're that clumsy with the throttle that you slip this car on a standing start, learn to be a better driver...

[thumbup]

DanoT
01-06-2018, 10:44 AM
Won't let it shift into first gear. Keeps it in second (maybe 3rd? I'm not sure) for a standing start, which reduces torque considerably...and warms up the torque converter rapidly from all the slip...so, makes the car feel really sluggish, and the engine revs without the car moving much...

I never use it. If you're that clumsy with the throttle that you slip this car on a standing start, learn to be a better driver...

[thumbup]

I assume that "W" locks the tranny in gear similar to selecting a gear manually, so why wouldn't Volvo just have a driving tip in the owners manual telling folks to manually shift to "2" or "3" before starting from a stop in slippery conditions? Seems like "W" is an not needed extra expense feature that shouldn't be there.

When slippery I have had no trouble starting out in "D" using a light throttle.

Astro14
01-06-2018, 12:53 PM
I assume that "W" locks the tranny in gear similar to selecting a gear manually, so why wouldn't Volvo just have a driving tip in the owners manual telling folks to manually shift to "2" or "3" before starting from a stop in slippery conditions? Seems like "W" is an not needed extra expense feature that shouldn't be there.

When slippery I have had no trouble starting out in "D" using a light throttle.

W doesn't lock it in gear. It just precludes the use of first. Car drives normally at speed. W is for folks that don't normally shift their own gears...so, it's not really like selecting a gear manually.

And you presume that: 1. Volvo owners read the manual and 2. that they understand the technical point.

I would bet that most of them do not...this forum is an exception...