PDA

View Full Version : headlamp problems

drgian
12-25-2017, 09:39 PM
I have researched this in the usual places and I've not found a definitive answer other than take it to the shop/dealer which I'm loathe to do.

My headlights are dim and point way too low, I can't really see at all at night without the brights and the brights in turn act like normal headlights; oncoming traffic doesn't seem to mind them.

Where/how do I adjust the position of the headlights? Lying on my back under the car I can see two screws to adjust what I had hoped was the headlight, but it's the fog light. I can't see how to get to the headlamp assembly to adjust it.

I've heard you can polish the glass to remove the dullness that occurs over time and I have some of that, but the larger issue is the alignment of them.

Any input will be great, thank you,

drGian

hoonk
12-26-2017, 07:07 AM
Where/how do I adjust the position of the headlights?

Look from the top, the white plastic 6mm socket sized adjusters.

pbierre
12-26-2017, 12:19 PM
If the high-beams look like they're properly aligned, then you don't want to fiddle with the headlamp assy. adjustment screws. The housing alignment is good. Your problem is likely that the low-beam bulbs are improperly seated in the socket, tilting them out of alignment. Or, the
obscuration cylinder that envelops the low-beam bulb has been bent off-axis.

This posting explains what is going on when low-beams are shooting low, or have dark spots, while high-beams are operating correctly:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?29853-Low-beam-headlight-dark-spots&highlight=headlight+dark+spots

Astro14
12-26-2017, 01:00 PM
I would make certain that a prior owner installed the bulbs properly before I messed around with the aiming...

Scopeman
12-27-2017, 07:56 AM
The easiest way to access the bulbs, or polish the lens, is to remove the bumper cover. It may seem daunting, but it is very easy. Then you can remove the headlamp housings for cleaning or repair.

hoonk
12-27-2017, 03:35 PM
The easiest way to access the bulbs,
His 2001 uses a h7 bulb, easy to get out compared to the h11s.

Astro14
12-27-2017, 03:56 PM

But hard to see the socket itself ...and I’ve got $5 on misaligned/misinstalled bulb as the cause of poor light pattern...

hoonk
12-28-2017, 01:51 PM

That was in response to the suggestion that the bumper cover be removed to replace the bulb :confused:

I agree an incorrectly installed bulb will cause a poor beam pattern.

Kiwirst
01-03-2018, 09:19 AM
I have a similar issue, when I insert the lamp, the whole lamp assembly actually moves inside the glass headlight assembly itself, I need to remove the bumper and follow an instruction sheet on how to correct that at some (warmer) point

drgian
01-21-2018, 08:46 PM
I should have been clearer, all the lights point low. Both left and right normal lights and high beams point low; but they seem consistent among themselves if that makes sense. I believe the entire assembly is pointing low.

I got some tile for the house; 13 boxes of 12”x24” and loaded them in back. The car rode back low and the lights popped up lined up just about right. So I think I need to align both sides. I didn’t see a 6mm white adjuster in the pic but I’ll look and see if I can find it in the car and report back. Will this adjuster alight both regular and brights? And I assume there is one on both sides?

DrGian