View Full Version : muffler exhaust system issues

rhauptschein
12-02-2017, 10:42 AM
Issues include:
1. outer layer of middle muffler coming off
2. rear muffler hanger broken
3. central muffler leak, rusted, and dented
4. whole exhaust system rusted
Do I need to replace whole exhaust system due to rust, and estimated cost?
What should I repair urgently or soon?
What are some recommended muffler/exhaust shops, and what are some to avoid?
Thanks in advance.

pbierre
12-02-2017, 12:36 PM
The central muffler leak should be a concern for carbon monoxide pollution being sucked into the car. I would confirm with a flashlight or laser pointer at nighttime that exhaust gas is leaking out of the middle muffler, and if so, make its replacement a high priority. You can have the rear muffler hanger replaced at the same time. Go for genuine Volvo parts. You can order your parts online, and then find a muffler shop that will just do the labor. That way, you know what you are getting.

Astro14
12-03-2017, 09:30 AM
When faced with the identical situation on an old Mercedes, I simply replaced the whole system with a factory replacement. It ended up being relatively inexpensive, with zero fit issues. A sawzall, or cut-off tool, is a big help.

The downpipe on this car is expensive...if that's OK, I would leave it, and replace the center and rear muffler. Get new bolts and new hangars (rubber blocks). Install from the front to the rear. Tighten up the connecting bolts/clamps once everything is in place...

If you wanted to upgrade your exhaust to a performance model, now is the time, but they're expensive and don't add much power unless you're running a tune already.

Willy
12-03-2017, 10:30 AM
The central (resonance) muffler can be replaced by a strait pipe, it only serves to damp
noise in a small RPM range. It's called the JRL mod.
There is a clamp to replace the rear hanger. It is easy to place and works well.
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/6621/114611-muffler-hanger-clamp-awd-models
This video shows it: http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=6022
The clamp can be had at a Volvo service point, third party models also available.
I used the Volvo clamp. Be sure to get the right part for the MY of your car.

AKAMick
12-03-2017, 12:21 PM
Just had to replace the front muffler on my 04 was quite rotted, thought of the JRL mod but as the parts exceeded the cost of the WALKER replacement, $61 off Ebay, shipped, the rear muffler had extensive corrosion only at the inlet connection, I cut it off and went to NAPA for a repair section that was a perfect replacement. The MIG took care of attaching it to the otherwise good rear silencer, total cost including new generic flange gasket came to the final staggering sum of $74,

rhauptschein
02-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Follow up, I replaced the resonator (middle muffler) at a local Midas for just over 300$ and seems well, quieter but only day one. When I called a Volvo dealer, they estimated over $1,000 using Volvo parts. Thanks for advices.