PDA

View Full Version : XC70 vibration

sixof1
11-15-2017, 12:06 PM
New to this forum so hi everyone.
Have just bought an XC70 D4 AWD Geartronic 2014 and am very pleased with it apart from the noticeable vibration
increase compared to my previous S80 D5 2007. Both are 2.4 5 cyl engines so what's the difference? Different
engine mounts,chassis.suspension? It's particularly evident when idling when it can be felt through the steering
wheel. Anyone noticed similar or have any views on what can be done to improve it? Thought there might be
some sort of vibration damper that could be added? Thanks.

XCovlov70
11-15-2017, 01:11 PM
New to this forum so hi everyone.
Have just bought an XC70 D4 AWD Geartronic 2014 and am very pleased with it apart from the noticeable vibration
increase compared to my previous S80 D5 2007. Both are 2.4 5 cyl engines so what's the difference? Different
engine mounts,chassis.suspension? It's particularly evident when idling when it can be felt through the steering
wheel. Anyone noticed similar or have any views on what can be done to improve it? Thought there might be
some sort of vibration damper that could be added? Thanks.

What is the 'tickover' speed when you are stationery?

I am not sure if a Manual is lower than a Geartronic but mine which is a Manual D5 is around 800rpm

If you have one that came with the car then the Drivers Handbook might give you a figure.

If the Tacho is then found to be reading correctly when stationery then I would be inclined to take a look at the Engine Mounts to see if they are cracked or wobbling, failing that then try the oil level in the Auto gearbox to see if it is low.

Good luck.

sixof1
11-15-2017, 02:48 PM
Thanks. One possibility is that the engine mounts have been changed for the firmer blue polyurethane types by the previous owner.
Will have to check. I don't know if there is a softer compound engine mount available as a mod. Also, I understand that idling vibration
is worse on the auto than the manual.

sixof1
11-15-2017, 04:21 PM
Checked idle speed and it's about 800 which I suspect is correct. However when I increase to around 1000 the
vibration decreases significantly. It may just be normal for this car but I don't like it. Wondering if my dealer
can make a slight idle increase using VIDA system?

XCovlov70
11-16-2017, 01:03 AM
Checked idle speed and it's about 800 which I suspect is correct. However when I increase to around 1000 the
vibration decreases significantly. It may just be normal for this car but I don't like it. Wondering if my dealer
can make a slight idle increase using VIDA system?

Be aware that increasing the idle speed on an Automatic might engage the Torque Converter in the Geartronic and when you put the car in 'D' it will want to pull away! [nonono]

If the engine mounts have been swapped and the original provided better damping then it would be safer to swap back to them. [thumbup]

A number of XC60 owners I have spoken to have not mentioned bad vibration on tickover, as I was thinking of getting one before we got the XC70 but the XC60 would not fit in the garage while the XC70 did!! :mad:

sixof1
11-16-2017, 02:57 AM
I wouldn't say the vibration is 'bad' whilst idling but more obvious than on my previous S80. They're both 5 cyl 2.4 engines so why the difference?
The XC70 is AWD and maybe a different suspension set up is a factor. I think I'll get my dealer to check out the engine mounts as the first port
of call and I understand there is an engine bracing strut that can need tightening. Got an XC60 as well and that's not as bad!

sixof1
11-16-2017, 08:01 AM
Took it to local Volvo dealer and service manager drove it and checked the engine mounts which he said were fine.
Also said some vibration was normal at idle and couldn't be compared to S80 which has different sub frame, suspension etc.
Guess I'll just get used to it.

XCovlov70
11-19-2017, 11:23 AM
Took it to local Volvo dealer and service manager drove it and checked the engine mounts which he said were fine.
Also said some vibration was normal at idle and couldn't be compared to S80 which has different sub frame, suspension etc.
Guess I'll just get used to it.

Like no two human beings are totally identical (Even Twins) then no two cars with the same parts are identical in every way, so I guess the service manager has hit the nail on the head! [thumbup]