PDA

View Full Version : Heater/AC Fan Not Working

tgrumaj
02-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Well, here's a new one for you.  Yesterday while driving my 1999 XC (71k miles) up to NY State for an auction we stopped for a "bio' break and when returning to start the car the following happened:
1) The heater fan made an odd growling sound as it started and
2) The small lights on the air recirculation button and the AC "off" button flasted on and off in sync.
3) The fan would not work in any postion (neither in "Auto" or at any point on the manual sliding scale from 0 to full)

Eventually (after about 1 minute) the flashing ended but the fan still would not work.  When stopping the car and starting again the same thing happened, the fan started up briefly with a growl and then stopped with the lights flashing on and off.

Here's the odd part....on the third time the car was stopped and restarted (about 4 hours later) the fan went on and is working fine.  Still working today in both "Auto" and Manual mode.

Has anyone had this happen and if so what does it mean?  Did I do something wrong. (the first time we did this, I had not turned off the fan and it was on in Manual mode when starting the car).
I'd take it to my mechanic but that usually doesn't do a lot of good when there is no visable problem for him to see.  My first thought was that a fuse was blown but with it working as usuaal now that doesn't appear to be an option.  Everything else was working....the heat was fine...just no blower.