PDA

View Full Version : Code reader questions

oblivionboyj
09-01-2017, 05:20 AM
I was thinking about what I am going to do with this car, and it is clear that if I plan to keep it running in as good condition as I can I will need to invest in a code reading device. I had a look on eBay, and there seems to be 2 kinds there for Volvo.
One is called a VIDA (which I have seen threads about but do not entirely understand the posts due to lack of context). This one seems to be a screenless box with a connector to go to the ODB II connector, and appears to have an output to hook up to a computer.
The other is slightly more expensive, but it is about the size of a large smart phone or small tablet, has a screen, and also hooks up to the ODB II port.
Does anyone know what the difference in capability and function between the units I am seeing? Or even which one I really want? Will one style be more useful or functional than the other? I assume the VIDA connects to a laptop or tablet via USB, or something like that? If that is the case, what program or app is it actually running on? I also assume that the tablet style has a dedicated app running for the same functions. Am I making correct guesses here, because they are only guesses?

oblivionboyj
09-01-2017, 06:02 AM
Seems as though I hadn't searched quite long enough to get the answers I needed. Clearly I am going to need the VIDA-DICE that is screenless and hooks to a laptop. This is the less expensive option anyway. I have an old Toughbook running Windows 7 that would probably be perfect for this application. I found the answers to my questions here...
http://www.obd2be.com/download/volvo%20vida%20dice%20User%20Manual.pdf

Sorry if the is a thread that has been started like 1000 times. Hopefully I made amends by finding the answers myself and sharing the results of that query :)

oblivionboyj
09-01-2017, 06:12 AM
And the more I read the more questions I have...
With an older car (2002 V70XC) do I want a VIDA, or do I want a VADIS? Will the VIDA run on the older laptop I mentioned, or even a smartphone? Will one of the inexpensive units on eBay have the manuals, and be able to read the codes correctly? If I get a VADIS, will I regret it and want a VIDA in a year, or even just a few months?

youropeen
09-01-2017, 06:51 AM
You will definitely want Vida. The software is usually included on a disk if you buy a knockoff dice unit. Vida is pretty finicky with compatibility when it comes to machines/software it will run on. It will absolutely not run on a smartphone (unless you are savoy enough to have a virtual machine running on a jailbroken android device) and will only run with professional versions of Windows software. Windows XP Professional, Windows 7 Professional, etc.

So if the machine you have has Windows Professional installed you have enough free disk space and memory, have the correct Internet Explorer version and .NET Framework versions, you should have success.

If that sounds like a hassle, I have a few laptops for sale with the Vida software preinstalled so you don't have to worry about it. All you have to do is buy a Dice unit, plug it into your car, plug the other end into the laptop, and you are off and running.

Info can be found here. http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?29621-Dedicated-Garage-Laptops

I have been running this setup for my '05 XC for the past 5 years and with my V70R for the past 1+ year without no issues.

One example of what this software/laptop combo can do whereas a normal code reader may not be able to do is diagnose a faulty fuel pressure sensor which I was able to do on my XC a couple of years ago. Symptoms are while cruising at highway speeds, the car would sometimes lose power for a few seconds and then pick back up. Oddly enough, this does not trip the check engine light. So I plugged in the car to Vida/Dice and sure enough there were the codes.

It's pretty much a must-have for those who wrench on their own cars.

pbierre
09-01-2017, 06:59 AM
A couple of years back, I bought an iCarsoft 906 Volvo/Saab ODB-II scanner. It is about $120. It has Volvo-specific DTCs, and I can reset many (but not all ) codes. It's a self-contained unit (no laptop), so easy to get working. The User Interface is a bit slow and clunky, but not bad for the price.

I see online where iCarsoft has a newer VOL II version ($150), with additional features. It is plug-in chip upgradeable. They claim it
"can do it all-reads and clears trouble codes on all the systems such as engine, transmission, ABS and airbag etc"

There's a full description:
http://www.diagnosticsuperstore.com/product/34231/icarsoft-volvo-saab-vol-ii?affiliateID=10056&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiqTNBRDVARIsAGsd9Mobakpiv3Leoilz11au mz5-Si-LEs3giFVc81t2fQ-pK9p-fQ_jck0aAiHtEALw_wcB

One thing I don't think it does is download new firmwares into the Volvo's many smart modules. Does VIDA do that? What (if any) limitations on VIDA compared to the system the authorized Volvo dealer's use?

oblivionboyj
09-01-2017, 07:34 AM
Good info here...
The Toughbook I was talking about is running Windows 7 pro, but I am pretty sure it isn't fast enough or have enough memory. I think it is only 500mb of RAM, if I remember correctly. The thing is a tank, but it is slow as hell. My other laptop is running Windows 10. Can the knockoff VIDA-DiCE run with the Windows 10 OS?
And here is probably the million dollar question; can the knockoff VIDA-DiCE actually update the cars firmware/software? It seems like that is one of the functions of the VIDA-DiCE, but there are conflicting reports about whether it can or not I am seeing. For example... my sunroof intermittently wont open (seems to be an alarm software issue). Could I use a knockoff VIDA-DiCE to repair the software/firmware causing the problem? Or would I need a fully licensed VIDA-DiCE to go after that problem?

hoonk
09-01-2017, 07:53 AM
I don't think it does is download new firmware into the Volvo's many smart modules. Does VIDA do that? What (if any) limitations on VIDA compared to the system the authorized Volvo dealer's use?

Vida sold on the internet is a hacked version of the latest VIDA that was provided on DVD (2014d). That version will not talk to 2016 cars. The legal version of VIDA since 2015 is subscription based and on line only. There is no installation dvd, just a small download. A valid VIDA subscription has always been required to perform software updates, and the software updates are priced individually. To buy software to get a new key or remote to work might be $25 plus the subscription cost, or a transmission software reload might be $65.

Subscriptions are sold for 3 days, 30 days, or a year. You can view pricing for subscriptions at volvotechinfo.com - but you can spend almost $7000 for a yearly subscription.

hoonk
09-01-2017, 08:06 AM
Windows 7 pro,
I think it is only 500mb of RAM,
Can the knockoff VIDA-DiCE run with the Windows 10 OS?

can the knockoff VIDA-DiCE actually update the cars firmware/software?
my sunroof intermittently wont open (seems to be an alarm software issue).
Could I use a knockoff VIDA-DiCE to repair the software/firmware causing the problem?
Or would I need a fully licensed VIDA-DiCE to go after that problem?

Vida 2014d requires 2gb ram minimum. It would not load on any of my machines until they had at least 2gb.
Vida 2014 requires 7 pro, earlier versions (~2013) work on XP pro. (some might have gotten it to work in virtual machines)

Illegal copy ("knockoff") of VIDA will not update software, and the new VIDA used since 2015 is a totally different on-line program.

Sunroof is not going to be a "repair software" problem

oblivionboyj
09-01-2017, 08:16 AM
Sunroof is not going to be a "repair software" problem

I was told it is, because it is routed through the alarm. We are not talking about a constant problem. It will only refuse to open when the "alarm requires service" message has on the message board.
Please educate me here.

youropeen
09-01-2017, 10:44 AM
I have not had it happen to either of my P2s yet but it appears as though you alarm module is on its way out or the battery in it is at least. I've seen threads where some have repaired the batteries in the module and made it more weather proof. I can't comment on if a new module would require a software installation. If that were the case a I believe that knockoff copies of Vida are not able to connect to Volvo's servers. I may be incorrect in saying that though.

oblivionboyj
09-01-2017, 11:38 AM
It isn't directly related, but I found this after you mentioned the alarm module (not directly related to the code reader, but is it really all that bad of form to hijack your own thread? LOL)...

http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/electricalelectronics.htm

Alarm Service, Alarm Triggered, Sunroof Not Working

I got these messages each time I unlocked the car and started it
•"Alarm Triggered"
•"Alarm System Service Required"

The red light in the center of the dash would flash super fast with the alarm triggered message. Then everything returns to normal. Sometimes, my sunroof doesn't for awhile after this.

I read that the siren unit is the culprit. Some people also have opened it up and noticed the internal transformer blew up. When this unit isn't working correctly, the sunroof doesn't work. When I got my siren out and opened it up, it has blacken residue inside indicating some electronics had been fried. Here is a quick test to see if your siren is the culprit.

Pull fuse #38 on the fuse box inside the driver side compartment. This is the siren fuse. If your sunroof works after, then your siren is probably bad. Another trick I did is to lower the driver side window, lock the car and reach in to open it. If the siren doesn't sound, then it is probably bad.

To disconnect or take out the siren, do this
•Jack up the passenger side front wheel
•Remove the tire
•Follow direction 3 from the link below. After the 2 nuts come off, remove the piece of liner.
•Drill out the 5 rivet in front of the wheel liner
•Now you have access to inside and disconnect the siren

If you want to take it out, you have to remove the security bolt. I took a Dremal tool with a cutting tool and cut a slot out for the flat head screw driver to unbolt it. I used a 1/4" ratchet with a flat head screw driver bit to break it loose.

Here is the direction on how this siren is assembled

http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/ii/Details.aspx?uid=6254cf10-0038-4f83-949e-2ff5e49afa6b

If this link is just during my web session and doesn't work for you. Just go to the vccs.volvocars.se website and follow this sequence
•Click installations
•Select your language, hit go
•Select car model + year and check electrical systems and hit search
•You will see alarm near the top of the list

Here are some picture from someone who cracked the sealed siren open. Again, my looked even worse. My car is parked in the garage every night and this siren unit is sealed. So I think it is just bad design rather than any kind of dirt or whether related issue. Maybe when the battery is wearing down... it somehow triggered some problems. I don't really know. All I know is that my car is about 8-9 years old. Other failures I have heard are on this car in this age range.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13680&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fubar&start=10

After the siren is disconnected or taken out, you will get a Alarm Service Message each time you unlock the car and start it. But the sunroof will work. I read that the immobilizer still works. You just no longer get the siren sounds.

I got tired of getting the Alarm Service message and got a replacement part ($150-$200), installed it and plugged it in (with battery disconnected). I then took the car to the dealer to have them link the siren to the car using their computer (They charged me $30). Although it pretty much functions correctly without going to the dealer for computer setup. I saw no difference in the operation before and after dealer's linking.

The installation direction above also indicate the siren can be installed in cars that don't have it. I'm guessing this means the dealer can "turn off" the siren feature and avoid getting the message when the siren isn't present. However, when I called one dealer, they said this function can't be turned off. Maybe this siren is installed in all US cars but not some other region. Not sure.

Preventive Maintenance

Some people read about this issue and decided to do some preventive maintenance and swap the old battery out before it destroys the circuit board. Here is a link on that. I'm planning on doing this, I've ordered 2 CR123A Lithium Ion battery from ebay. Planning on connect them serially to make the necessary 7.2V. Perhaps taping it all together and tape down the electrodes for connection.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17479

I seriously learn something new every time I come here. Even if it is because I end up looking for the right set of terms elsewhere. LOL

hoonk
09-01-2017, 02:27 PM
I was told it is, because it is routed through the alarm. It will only refuse to open when the "alarm requires service" message has on the message board.

Yes a bad siren module can interfere with sunroof operation. A new siren module would probably fix it then, and a siren module does not require a software download to make it work, it's plug and play. Others have said you can remove the fuse/remove the module/change software in the car to exclude the signal from the siren/remove and cut it open and replace the battery/repair the circuit board and duct tape/glue it back together - I have not tried any of those methods.