PDA

View Full Version : Front right noise - solution

toma nova
08-05-2017, 12:16 PM
2010, 90k miles, eight hot summers in Houston.

I had a grinding / fluttering / hissing sound coming from the right front of the engine. I thought it may be the turbo (has a small oil leak), an exhaust leak, or something else engine related since it varies by RPM and not road speed. It goes from a loud, metallic grinding when the car is cold pulling out of the driveway to a more quiet hiss or whoosh sound when the engine is warm.

After doing a bit of research, I replaced the upper right engine mount (31257674) and the torque arm (31430441). The mount was clearly bad and the torque arm was noticeably deteriorating. It took a total of an hour, a 15mm socket and breaker bar, and a floor jack to support the engine.

Old mount still installed

Old on left, clearly shot

I also took some before and after video but there is not a significant difference so don't diagnose by movement only.

Tom

smitty
10-16-2017, 07:26 PM
I had a knocking sound/vibration coming from the right side when turning right from a dead stop. I suspected a bum CV joint, but it turned out to be a collapsed right engine mount. I turned it over to a local indy Volvo shop for the diagnosis and repair. A month later, I'm getting a knocking from the left side at low road speeds, which I first took to be sub-frame bushings, but the noise is coming from the dash area so I suspect the left mount has now pooped out.

So often when we improve or firm up one area of a car's mechanical systems (like suspension parts), the service loads are now distributed differently and the next "mechanical fuse" lets go. That's what I think happened here, pending my confirmation that it truly is the left mount.

What I can't seem to find on line is any diagrams or advice on what has to be removed to get at the mount. I won't have time to get into it for a couple of weeks, but I'd like to get a better handle on what's involved in the replacement before I invest in the parts. Can anyone offer guidance?

2008 XC70, now at 130K.