PDA

View Full Version : Noise and vibration from front end

orvieto
08-05-2017, 11:36 AM
2004 XC70, 170K

We just replaced 1.5 years (20K miles) old left rear wheel bearing (right rear one which we replaced 1 year ago is still OK). I know it should last a lot more years and mileage, but they only warrant 12 months, so we replaced it again (they gave us a bit discount, but we are not happy at all).

NOW we a hear noise from front end. It sounds like snow tire or engine brake noise. We also get vibration around 40 – 65 mph. Although mileage wise it’s time to replace them, my tires are still OK.

Is it front wheel bearing? Or CV joints?

I also hear rattling sound (like worn out sway-bar links which I replaced not too long ago) when I go over bumps?

Please let me know what you think.
Thank you as always! You guys saved me few times.

JRL
08-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Volvo parts are warranted for TWO years not one year

orvieto
08-05-2017, 04:02 PM
Thank you.
The shop is owned by a former Volvo dealer mechanic. He said that he used a Volvo part and it's warranted for 12 months...

My problem now is this noise and vibration from front end. Anybody has any ideas what is failing? I'd like to keep the vehicle, but cannot spend too much...

billr99
08-06-2017, 04:38 AM
By your description, I'd suggest that if your front wheel bearings are original then they are probably on the way out. On both my XCs, I've replaced at least one original front bearing well before the mileage you are showing. As far as rattles from the front that could be a number of things, but I'd recommend that you take a look at your front sway bar bushings. At 170K miles I can almost guarantee that bar has separated from the bushing and that they are now worn enough to allow the bar to move around a bit. On my '02, I replaced all my sway bar bushings, i.e. both front and rear, with poly and had no issues thereafter.

Good Luck,

Bill

albertj
08-07-2017, 09:32 AM
if the noise changes with engine speed (listen carefully & watch the tach if you can safely) check the **alternator**. When its bearing goes (one is sleeve one is balls in a race IIRC) it can growl like a wheel bearing.
2004 XC70, 170K

We just replaced 1.5 years (20K miles) old left rear wheel bearing (right rear one which we replaced 1 year ago is still OK). I know it should last a lot more years and mileage, but they only warrant 12 months, so we replaced it again (they gave us a bit discount, but we are not happy at all).

NOW we a hear noise from front end. It sounds like snow tire or engine brake noise. We also get vibration around 40 – 65 mph. Although mileage wise it’s time to replace them, my tires are still OK.

Is it front wheel bearing? Or CV joints?

I also hear rattling sound (like worn out sway-bar links which I replaced not too long ago) when I go over bumps?

Please let me know what you think.
Thank you as always! You guys saved me few times.

Astro14
08-07-2017, 10:02 AM
CV joints don't make noise at steady state, they grind, crack, or crunch when making a tight turn.

Wheel bearing noise changes in a turn as the load changes. Very easy to feel bad bearings with the car on a lift.

New parts shouldn't be ruled out as a failure point. I've seen new part failure pretty often. Check each potential source.

orvieto
08-08-2017, 10:01 PM
Thank you guys! I'll be travelling without my XC.
I will post an update when I come back.