PDA

View Full Version : Front brakes

jimpierce7
07-28-2017, 11:05 AM
Getting ready to replace the front pads on my 2006 XC70.
Looks pretty straight forward and easy to do. Any special considerations I should consider?

AKAMick
07-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Easy, just do one side at a time so you can reference the intact side to reassemble correctly,

jimpierce7
07-29-2017, 10:23 PM
Not a big deal at all. Not as easy as my old Ford Aerostar, but over all pretty quick and easy............

except for............

King Kong must have set the lug bolts. First time ever with bolts and not nuts too. Surprising, but I got over it.

I'm 230 lbs and couldn't break the lug bolts loose. I gotta say too, the lug wrench is kind of cute. I got a cheater pipe, 9 bolts came out......... lug wrench stripped out on #10. Went and bought a 20" 4 way and finished the job.
As I was finishing up one of the locals started talking and we chatted as I finished up.........
Something didn't seem right?
What did I forget?
The ding dang clip on the outside of the caliper. Aw well. Tomorrow I'll pull the tire back off.

The factory jack is pretty cool. My little floor jack didn't go high enough.

Astro14
07-30-2017, 05:39 AM
Pedal will be soft until that clip is on.

I've never used the factory lug wrench. Ever.

18" breaker bar (or impact wrench) with a wheel bolt socket to remove.

Torque wrench to install.

Recheck after 500 miles.

Never trust torque sticks on an impact. Ever.

Torque sticks can be off by 100%. Too tight by double, or too loose by half. Your wheel bolts were probably put on with an impact wrench (I own several. Great tools, if used properly).

XC had wheel bolts come loose. Wife felt car "clunking" a few hundred miles after a State inspection, which requires removal of one front and one rear wheel to check brakes. Left front wheel was LOOSE. One bolt had fallen completely OUT. Talked to owner of the garage, that was the wheel they had removed and they used torque sticks on an impact. He's gone to torque sticks PLUS a check with torque wrench...

jimpierce7
07-30-2017, 09:12 AM
I would not have considered driving with out the clip in place. Having had a friend many years ago who had lugs back off on him and it ended badly, as a loose wheel on ice will, I tend to check lugs several times in the first 500 miles or so.