PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil in my transmission

cgautier89
07-21-2017, 05:38 PM
Hi guys new here, My 2002 Volvo V70 X/C I recently changed the driver side axle cause it was kinda bad, few days later I noticed oil leaking from the axle brown/golden oil..to be extra sure I cleaned the whole engine underneath and I did put uv dye on the motor then checked the leak trail from the axle with a black light it had uv dye on it. At this point don't know what to do I thought it could've been the radiator that is internally cracked or a rear main seal that went bad but to leak oil from the engine to the transmission is 99.9% impossible almost, I already ordered a axle seal cause I know its bad or out of place, but what worries me the most is the oil mixing up...Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

AKAMick
07-21-2017, 05:53 PM
Did you pull the transmission dipstick and see if you had the UV dye on that too? do a transmission drain and check that too, anyway it wont hurt a 02 to have fresh fluid in it

cgautier89
07-21-2017, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, I did a fluid change a few months ago...I pulled the transmission dipstick this morning and the oil was brown didn't noticed if it had uv dye on.

Astro14
07-21-2017, 06:49 PM
No way for engine oil to enter the transmission. There just isn't a path.

So, trade that oil farther back, lots of possibilities for leaks, that then run down the car...rear main seal? Turbo inlet?

cgautier89
07-21-2017, 07:09 PM
I know it's 99.9% impossible that engine oil enters to the transmission, I was thinking it could've been a broken radiator but I don't have engine oil in the coolant or vice versa it's just on the transmission which is kinda odd.

Xfingers
07-22-2017, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, I did a fluid change a few months ago...I pulled the transmission dipstick this morning and the oil was brown didn't noticed if it had uv dye on.

If your tranny fluid is brown, maybe you want to change it again sometime in the near future. How many miles on the car? Do you know if the PCV system has been replaced?

cgautier89
07-22-2017, 06:26 AM
The car is at 212k miles, I've had it for almost 5 years now, only have cleaned the pcv system once when I got it.

AKAMick
07-22-2017, 02:23 PM
"just on the transmission which is kinda odd." on or in?, drain the transmission and check the drained fluid with your UV light, I doubt that it will show up though, rear main leak will show in the Torque converter housing then it would have to somehow insert itself past the converter seal?

cgautier89
07-22-2017, 05:22 PM
"just on the transmission which is kinda odd." on or in?, drain the transmission and check the drained fluid with your UV light, I doubt that it will show up though, rear main leak will show in the Torque converter housing then it would have to somehow insert itself past the converter seal?

-IN- the transmission, ill work on it this up coming week will drain all the tranny fluid and engine oil separate and inspect them...I just put in BlueDevil Rear Main Sealer just in case it was the rear main seal...the engine and the tranny they dont have any leaks whatsoever anywhere, Today I checked the engine oil and its about a quart or two lower and tranny fluid its on the overfill mark.

cgautier89
07-26-2017, 02:23 PM
SOLVED: It was somehow overfilled I believe it had water cause I went thru some back roads looking for adventure and had to go thru some puddles maybe a foot high maybe higher, cause I did a change of tranny fluid this morning along with engine oil and filter change, It hasn't leaked yet its been a few hours and I used the car already.

Thang Vora
10-19-2017, 06:50 PM
The oil leak out from the axle that could mean the seal was torn, if the oil feel heavier than motor oil it is gear oil in the gear box.