PDA

View Full Version : How to determine original radio?

Brett San Diego
07-03-2017, 06:28 PM
I recently purchased a 2002 V70XC. It's got an aftermarket stereo installed. I'd rather just swap back to a used factory original. How do I find what was original in this car? Looks like there are at least 3 choices of radio.

I know in Porsche-land there's a build sticker stuck under the front trunk lid with all option codes for that car listed on it. Using that list you can determine all options installed on that car. I can't find any indication on the forum or google that there is something similar in the Volvo world.
Thanks,
Brett

Xfingers
07-04-2017, 05:16 AM
My 2002 has the original HU-613 audio system. According to Owner's Manual the HU-413 and HU-803 are also available options for this model. I would "guess" that either of these 3 radios should be able to install into the dash after the aftermarket stereo is removed. Now the 803 is the "higher end" of the 3 choices but I'm "guessing" it would occupy the same space/same connections in the dashboard panel as the other 2 systems. It doesn't seem likely that when the brand new 2002 V70XCs rolled off the assembly line, those wagons which came with the HU-803 audio system required a different dashboard with a different opening and connections than wagons with the 613/413. The different stereo options would be plug-n-play, no? Again, just a theory - I have no physical evidence to support this. What do other members think?

billr99
07-04-2017, 05:18 AM
If you have VIDA, it will tell you that. Go to the Diagnostics tab and under the "Vehicle Configuration" window on the left side of the screen, about half way down will be an item titled "Cassette/CD Radio" and that will tell you what was in the car when it was built.

Cheers,

Bill

JRL
07-04-2017, 07:12 AM
Or..your dealer can tell you
98% had the HU 613

I've never even seen a 413, what is that, cassette only?
I don't think you could even get that in a US XC, standard was/is a 613 then a HU650 which was the base radio for 05-07 models

Brett San Diego
07-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the responses. Don't have VIDA DICE, yet, but I do plan on acquiring one. I surfed youtube for volvo radio removal and swap videos. One showed the two connectors going directly into the 613, and another was about swapping the 803 in for a 613 and said all the wiring is there but the second (grey) connector going to the amp under the right front seat is just stuffed behind the radio cubby hole. And, there was something about putting center speaker wires into one of the connectors. So, I understand the 803 has a separate amp under the seat whereas the 613 does not. I'll dig for that and see if it's there. I've got to talk to a local dealer to see if they will code the non-original radio, so I may also see if they can run the VIN and check for me.

I haven't looked, yet, but my other concern is how much of a chop job was done on the harness to put in the aftermarket radio. It's also got an SRS fault indication, but as a bonus as I read about radio removal, I learned that the fault may be from disconnecting the radio and/or climate control units and turning the key on. So, I'm hopeful that's an easy fix with VIDA/DICE or dealer diagnostic hook-up.

Brett

Brett San Diego
09-30-2017, 09:03 AM
Just to update and close out this thread. There was no amp under the passenger seat, so it was an HU-613 system. The aftermarket radio install wasn't a chop job, thankfully. They had wired up a connector specifically for the Volvo harness. I finally bought a used HU-613 from a parts car on Craigslist. I plugged it in last night, and it works brilliantly. Complete plug-and-play. VIDA/DICE not necessary.

Brett

JRL
09-30-2017, 03:40 PM
And now you can fine tune your 613 with this:

Hidden Equalizer

With the radio switched off, press and hold down [SOURCE], press [Volume] to power
on the radio, and continue to hold down [SOURCE] for at least 5 seconds.
􀂃 Press [SOURCE] to select a function
􀂃 Turn [SOURCE] to adjust value

Function Description
FRONT Low1 3 Adjusts the very low frequencies in the front. Valid values
are from 0 to 6. Factory default for S60 is 4.
FRONT Low2 3 Adjusts the low frequencies in the front. Valid values are
from 0 to 6. Factory default for S60 is 4.
FRONT Mid 3 Adjusts the mid frequencies in the front. Valid values are
from 0 to 6. Factory default for S60 is 6.
FRONT High 3 Adjusts the high frequencies in the front. Valid values are
REAR Low 3 Adjusts the low frequencies in the back. Valid values are
REAR Mid 3 Adjusts the mid frequencies in the back. Valid values are
from 0 to 6. Factory default for S60 is 0.
REAR High 3 Adjusts the high frequencies in the back. Valid values are
from 0 to 6. Factory default for S60 is 6.

Xfingers
10-01-2017, 05:20 AM
Thanks, JRL!

JRL
10-01-2017, 11:42 AM
Thanks, JRL!

You've been around, you didn't know about this?
Pretty common knowledge

Xfingers
10-02-2017, 05:32 AM
I haven't been using the radio much until recently. I probly saw the info but didn't pay it much attention!

Brett San Diego
10-14-2017, 09:58 AM
And, I'm reopening this thread. The salvage radio is fully functional in terms of providing a sound system, but when I went for a night drive, I found that none of the backlighting is working except the LCD display. A little googling later, and apparently, this is what happens when the radio is not properly communicating with the car's computer.

This thread:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=123749

After reading through the thread, I tried the steering wheel controls, and they are non-functional as expected.

So, I'll be looking into a trip to a dealer for software resetting/reloading or maybe I'll get a VIDA/DICE system myself soon and see if it can be done DIY. I'll get back when I have more to share about trying to marry the "new" radio to the car. May be a couple of months before I get around to it.

Brett