PDA

View Full Version : Transmission pan sealant

derby
06-27-2017, 07:18 PM
What are folks using for the trans pan gasket/sealant? I read a thread where red silicone was used. I see that Volvo has a bubble gum colored sealant not quite like silicone. I have a pan to install in the morning and need to pick something up.

howardc64
06-27-2017, 07:29 PM
Volvo's is anarobic so get something that matches spec.

Here are some tips for putting the pan on

1. Good to have 2 people do this job. One from top and one from bottom to guide the pan into place carefully. Really easy to get the sealant on the valvebody if not careful.
2. Practice guiding the pan into its final position a few times before putting the sealant on to learn all the necessary orientations. Not much clearance.

Astro14
06-27-2017, 07:39 PM
For the transmission pan, I used a good oil-resistant RTV. 100K later it's still dry.

For the oil pan, or valve/cam covers, and for the angle gear case, you must absolutely use Volvo Anaerobic sealant.

AKAMick
06-27-2017, 08:32 PM
I used a transmission pan gasket, no chance of smearing adhesive onto the internals of the transmission or smearing it off and having a leak, and it is leak tight still.

FirstVolvo
06-28-2017, 09:35 AM
I've used Permatex Ultra black sealant on multiple repairs, including the Volvo transmission pan with great results. Anaerobic sealants tend not to be the best choice for stamped steel pans because of limited gap filling so RTV sealant is a good choice. Based on my valve body replacement experience I could only install the transmission pan from above, just not enough clearance from below to avoid smearing the sealant.