PDA

View Full Version : 2004 XC70 - Fuel smell - after oring replaced?

mote
06-16-2017, 03:14 AM
OK Here goes!

Over the last month or so I have experienced the "Fuel Smell" or gasoline smell inside the car. The mechanic has inspected both the sender and the Pump.

There was no fuel leaking in the Pump area - it was dry. However they discovered fuel pooling in the sender side, they replace the o-ring and that looks good.

Unfortunately there is still a very strong fuel smell inside the car. There was very minimal sign of fuel in the sender side, but hey thought that would not be enough to cause the smell.

So, I am wondering -where should I look next?

Could the very small traces of fuel around the sender still cause the strong smell? Can the fuel pump be dry but still let off gases? COuld it be coming through the vents?

I also suspect it is using a higher amount of fuel. Hard to tell but before the o-ring was replaced it was using 14.1 litres per 100km.

Any expertise would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

bugeye
06-19-2017, 10:49 AM
We had the leaking fuel pump top replaced by Volvo dealer. The change required the cover on the left side (facing foreword) fuel tank be removed and replaced. Both are sealed with an O-ring. The dealer mechanic did not notice a damaged new o-ring and the left side leaked. The gasoline leaks onto frame and cover components. It took about 2 weeks for the gasoline smell to dissipate after the repair.

mote
06-20-2017, 02:43 PM
We had the leaking fuel pump top replaced by Volvo dealer. The change required the cover on the left side (facing foreword) fuel tank be removed and replaced. Both are sealed with an O-ring. The dealer mechanic did not notice a damaged new o-ring and the left side leaked. The gasoline leaks onto frame and cover components. It took about 2 weeks for the gasoline smell to dissipate after the repair.

Thanks for that info. The mechanic has found it was still leaking, I understand he has ordered the part. Fingers crossed. Still, when it comes back I will give it some time for the smell to go :) Thanks again

mote
06-27-2017, 02:47 AM

Out of interest - how strong was the smell in the car for the few days after fixing. I can't see any more fuel in the access area, but the smell is strong in the car. This is kind of doing my head in!

bugeye
06-27-2017, 04:26 PM
The smell was strong with the windows closed. We parked in the sun with the windows opened about an inch for some ventilation, but wanted the interior to be heated. A couple times a day we opened all the doors to air out. It was strong. Too strong to drive with the windows closed.