PDA

View Full Version : XC70 Turbo went, whats the worse that could have happened?

waynegoldring
06-12-2017, 03:02 AM
OK, so i was driving along the motorway this weekend and the turbo went, zero warning at all, just went, all of the oil out of the car almost instantly, pulled straight over and stopped the car to have a look what had happened, saw the pool of oil, so i started it up very briefly to just pull it up onto the bank as the tyres were sitting in the oil ( and those are new so i didn't want them sitting in the oil ) - it started and ran ok for the 10 seconds i moved it.

I have very basic mechanical knowledge, turbos are a bit beyond that, but it just looks at though the turbo has parted company with the engine, i did try to get a photo to illustrate better, but its not a great photo

The question is, will the issue likely be as simple as replacing the turbo, filling the car back up with oil and good to go, or could there have been further damage either where the turbo came off the engine, or if anything has been sucked around the turbo pipe?

The car obviously isn't worth a lot, so i am reluctant to spend a fortune on it, so i thought i would get some opinions

Thanks in advance