PDA

View Full Version : Replaced both REAR fog lights & still getting message

MU ATO
05-02-2017, 02:43 PM
So I had to replace the rear position bulb. Then it said that rear fog light needed replaced so I replaced both of those and it still says that rear fog lamp needs replaced.[mad2]

Plus I have the front passenger fog lamp out and it looks like I have to drop the bumper or something. I've already had to replace the headlights which was like therapy. I'm over these lights going out.

hoonk
05-03-2017, 06:18 AM
rear fog light needed replaced so I replaced both of those

I'm over these lights going out.

There is only one rear fog lamp on the left side (on a 2006 Volvo) - and you replaced two? So if there is a bright bulb on the right side (21watt) with the rear fog light on, remove it, it's not supposed to be there. There are 2 parking/position lights in each tail lamp - make sure all are working

Rear fog lamps are just as bright as brake lights - so i would imagine if both sides lit (like some jags and land rovers you see) people behind you might not see the brake lights come on when they needed to. :)

If you want your bulbs to last longer use VIDA and program the headlamps in your CEM to flxstd. That will allow you to turn the headlamps and parking lamps off with the switch in the off position.

Willy
05-03-2017, 01:29 PM
In my 2004, there is a bulb socket on the right side also, but on the "pc-board" containing the sockets,
the trace feeding this bulb is cut. It is possible to fit a second bulb, but it won't light up.
Possibly this setup is used since 2 rear fog lights are made active in some markets but not in others.
If the message isn't specifically referring to the fog light, I would take a closer look at the licence plate lighting.
One of the bulbs sometimes fails, possibly because of a bad contact.
Willy

JRL
05-03-2017, 03:15 PM
Doesn't matter, do NOT use it.
License plate bulbs do not come up on the message board
Count the number of rear lights you have working on each side, there are a few...
Best guess, one of the small top lights in one of the upper taillights is out

albertj
05-03-2017, 09:33 PM
So I had to replace the rear position bulb. Then it said that rear fog light needed replaced so I replaced both of those and it still says that rear fog lamp needs replaced.[mad2]

Plus I have the front passenger fog lamp out and it looks like I have to drop the bumper or something. I've already had to replace the headlights which was like therapy. I'm over these lights going out.

I understand you're over the lights going out -- I get that -- in a difficult to access fixture, consider replacing them all at once if it's been a while (few years) since any replacement and one burns out.

MU ATO
05-26-2017, 05:11 PM
I replaced the "fog light" with a reverse light. That's what Oreilys auto said it called for but it also wasn't even showing a rear fog light in their system. So the lights on the lower rear tail light on the bottom were reverse light, then tail light then a smaller bulb which I think was the marker or something else then above that where the light narrows and you have to remove the rear speaker to access it is where I put the new bulb in what I thought were "fog lights. Then above that is the orange turn signal.

MU ATO
05-26-2017, 05:14 PM
So is what I thought was a "rear fog light" is that the 2nd tail light as noted above that there are 2 lights?

MU ATO
05-26-2017, 05:18 PM
Actually nevermind. I see what the lights are and they all work. I just need to get rid of the annoying error message. So it looks like I need to get the brighter rear driver taillight which is the "fog light"?

MU ATO
05-26-2017, 05:20 PM
https://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/10140/taillight-bulb-guide-p2-v70-xc70-2001-2007