PDA

View Full Version : 2001 v70xc Drivers/Passenger Window Switch

Tahoe_XC
04-19-2017, 06:18 AM
My 01 has been sitting for most of the winter. Took it out for a drive today and realized the front drivers and passengers windows will not go down. Hooked up VIDA and using VIDA I can lower both windows using the window down activate function in DDP/PDM. Then to raise them back up I can use either the switches in the car or VIDA DDM/PDM switch up command. However, neither the switches in the car nor the VIDA DDM/PDM activate the windows to go down.

My questions are:
1) Does this suggest the drivers switch module is bad?
2) Where in VIDA is the initialization function called out in the instructions? https://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/w-driver_door_model.pdf suggest
3) The instructions reference software, if I buy a new module does this require dealer load of software?

nickbw
04-19-2017, 08:17 AM
I assume you have a master switch on drivers door, I experienced a similar problem a while back and found after a few minutes of driving the problem would clear but I also found that holing either one of the two rear windows switches in the "up" position while I operated either of the front windows switches made the windows operate. I think you can change the lock mechanism without a software update, don't know about the master switch.

Tahoe_XC
04-20-2017, 06:42 AM
My 01 has been sitting for most of the winter. Took it out for a drive today and realized the front drivers and passengers windows will not go down. Hooked up VIDA and using VIDA I can lower both windows using the window down activate function in DDP/PDM. Then to raise them back up I can use either the switches in the car or VIDA DDM/PDM switch up command. However, neither the switches in the car nor the VIDA DDM/PDM activate the windows to go down.

My questions are:
2) Where in VIDA is the initialization function that is called out in the instructions? https://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/w-driver_door_model.pdf
3) The instructions reference software, if I buy a new module does this require dealer load of software?

Still looking for inputs

hoonk
04-20-2017, 09:00 AM
2) Where in VIDA is the initialization function called out in the instructions? https://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/w-driver_door_model.pdf suggest

1 Possibly, if the switches worked normally before car was parked for the winter could be just a bad connection in the switches. Use (or wiggling, flicking, or saying pleasant things while looking at the sky) might make them work again.
2 scan the car, go to vehicle communication, click on the module you want (ddm or pdm) click the advanced tab to bring up menu of options
3 Have only replaced two master switches in 99+ cars, a 2001 xc (30658116), that one required software and a 05 s60 (31334466) that did not.

Some might suggest a used switch from the same year will/might work but I have no experience with that.

Tahoe_XC
04-21-2017, 06:41 AM
1 Possibly, if the switches worked normally before car was parked for the winter could be just a bad connection in the switches. Use (or wiggling, flicking, or saying pleasant things while looking at the sky) might make them work again.
2 scan the car, go to vehicle communication, click on the module you want (ddm or pdm) click the advanced tab to bring up menu of options
3 Have only replaced two master switches in 99+ cars, a 2001 xc (30658116), that one required software and a 05 s60 (31334466) that did not.

Some might suggest a used switch from the same year will/might work but I have no experience with that.

Thanks Hoonk-

Tried the wiggling, even pulled the switch (9452959) and took it apart to clean the contacts. No luck. Went to Pick-N-pull. Got a switch from a 02 (30658116). I now have drivers window, but no passanger. As you put it time to look to the sky and ask that the next switch I get works all the way around. Going to buy one off of eBay that is "tested"

As for VIDA, i don't remember seeing the initialize function but will go back and look one more time.