PDA

View Full Version : Is this oversteer or normal for a 2007 xc70??

unclekenn
04-12-2017, 06:35 PM
I test drove a 2007 xc70 with 189,000 miles on it. At moderate speeds 50 to 60, I turned the steering wheel quickly back and forth to try simulating taking swerving to miss an object in the road. To my surprise, it felt like it would roll over. I/ used to driving at higher speeds, 80 to 120+ but the xc70 seems to be very unstable. I would not dare to drive it much over 60. If I had to swerve to avoid a deer or something else in the road, I believe it would roll over.

Is this normal for the xc70? If so, I'll not buy it. If not, what would the cause be and how can it be corrected?

Thanks,

ken

Astro14
04-12-2017, 08:27 PM
Buy a T5.

Or an R model

billr99
04-13-2017, 06:45 AM
Having both an XC and an R of the same model year, I would say "oversteer" is not normal on an XC (or an R for that matter). In fact, the cars are pretty much setup on their basic designs to have mostly understeer. I can get a wee bit of off-throttle oversteer, or rather more a butt feel tendency toward mild oversteer, just by playing with tire pressures and using Chrysler end links in front. But it is very slight and under power both the XC and R will plough. Of course, any number of things could be going on with a car with 190K on it. Tire pressures out of whack (we are assuming all 4 tires are the same brand and size?), shocks or endlinks that are shot, front and/or rear alignments not right, any number of things. But the things I mention herein would be the first things I'd try.

Cheers,

Bill

hoonk
04-13-2017, 07:06 AM
2007 xc70 with 189,000
it felt like it would roll over.
what would the cause be and how can it be corrected?

Something as simple as low tire pressure can make a car feel very unstable -

Oversteer is when the rear wheels break loose first (the car spins out) and could be caused by - a broken front sway bar or link

With 189000 miles - all wear items in the suspension would be very loose unless already replaced - struts/shocks, control arm bushings especially - and the car will be very unstable

v70+xc70
04-13-2017, 07:30 AM
With those miles bushings in the suspension will be way beyond their replacement date, weakened and in need of replacement. Throw in the need to replace the shocks and springs, and yes, it will handle like a whale in jello.

unclekenn
04-14-2017, 06:19 PM
This my third attempt at a reply.

JRL
04-14-2017, 07:28 PM
After having my 98 for 3 years I bought a new 01 XC. I almost rolled it!
Awful handling out of the box. High CG, soft springs and shocks and odd sway bars.
They are much better with 17s and an oversized tire
Suspension must be in good condition as do tires and pressures. Bigger sway bars help but you still need to be aware doing quick side to side manuevers/lane changes, ets

unclekenn
04-14-2017, 08:42 PM
JRL, Your comment is very helpful.

Thanks

kenn