PDA

View Full Version : Rear Turn Signal Out - Relay Issue?

Oka
04-07-2017, 02:39 PM
Just started driving this car for the first time after a transmission rebuild.

Realized the rear left turn signal is not working. Checking, I realized the bulb and its
holder are both missing (from the previous owner). I took a bulb and it's holder (from my
other XC70, same year) and tired, still, the rear turn signal won't work. Reading online,
I read about the turn signal relay issues.

Would a faulty turn signal relay only affect the left turn signal and not the right?
I believe it's the rear only (though I did not check), but the dash says it's the
rear left turn signal). Or maybe the contact on the lense housing is bad. Or, what
might be wrong?

Thanks.

AKAMick
04-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Time to get the test light out and see if you have power to the socket, then go from there.

Oka
04-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Time to get the test light out and see if you have power to the socket, then go from there.

Oooopsy! That did not cross my mind. Will test that. Thanks for the reminder.

Oka
04-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Update on the driver-side brake light issue.

- Checked the #4 fuse at the trunk fuse box, that is fine.
- Functioning lights: driving, reverse, turn. These tell me there is power to the harness.
- Replaced bulb.
- Switched bulb and bulb holder from the functioning right side, still, no brake light on the left.

The above prove there is power to the bulbs and the relay is working fine. The only part left would be the contact points with the bulb holder to the metal lines on the rear lens housing. This would entail removing the housing for inspections. Auugghh*%$#! It was a pain to remove and replace the brake light housing from the car. Guess the 2001 XC70 was designed for females (not being sexist) with smaller hands or an octopus. Damn, when I get the holder in flat to turn, my knuckles would be in the way. The rear lighting configuration seem like an after-thought design. Why is the metal part of the body of the car in the way? There are so much space to use or cut out by the designer. I had to use my long angled, straight jaw pliers to be able to turn the holder. There was no way I could have done that without the pliers. Before that, I had to drill a hole in the holder, at the lowest part of the flat area, ring in rope so I can hold the bulb holder while trying to put it back in. Why, I will be pissed if this holder and bulb falls into the "hole". Twice I would have lost it in there (then I would have to remove the lens housing). Did not want to let out some curse phrases in my language.

Removing the lens, which will be a pain in avoiding the nuts from falling into the hole, would be a pain, but I will have to do this since I don't have a choice. I would have to figure out how the contacts are supposed to be.

Could someone please tell me how I can check the defective brake light outside the lens (without the contacts on the housing)?

Thanks

Pennhaven
04-08-2017, 11:41 AM
I haven't had any issues with my brake lights, so no experience to offer regarding your specific questions.

However, before you do anything drastic, it may be worthwhile liberally applying some contact cleaner (e.g., DeOxit) to the bulb holder contacts, then install and remove the holder a few times. This could remove any oxidation on the housing contacts, one potential source of your issue.

tmcmilli
04-08-2017, 12:35 PM
I had a brake lamp holder to fail on the driver's side. It took awhile to finally break the contact along the edge of the lamp holder where the pin contacts the circuit board. It was intermittent, brake lamp failed then working again. I finally found the contact on the lamp holder itsel was separating fun the lamp holder.

Oka
04-09-2017, 11:22 PM
I had a brake lamp holder to fail on the driver's side. It took awhile to finally break the contact along the edge of the lamp holder where the pin contacts the circuit board. It was intermittent, brake lamp failed then working again. I finally found the contact on the lamp holder itsel was separating fun the lamp holder.

VOILA! Finally got my brake light back.
Yes, my metal plate completely separated and was dangling away.
Below are what I did; maybe an overkill, but I had fun doing the little project.