PDA

View Full Version : DC Area Volvo Mechanic for valve body work...

NEWDCXC70
04-04-2017, 05:36 PM
I'm a first time Volvo owner - just picked up a 2004 XC70 three weeks ago.
Like many others I'm seeing, this needs valve body work. After 10-15 minutes of driving the shifts between 1-2 become harder and harder.
While I'd like to pretend I could fix this myself - it's well out of the realm of my wrenching capabilities. I had the transmission flushed two weeks ago - and it reduced the problem for about 500 miles - but it's getting worse again.
I'm looking for someone in the DC area who has a recommendation for someone who knows the XC (or at least the transmission) and can help me get this fixed (and other things down the road.)
If you've had this sort of thing done - how much did it cost? I've heard stories of fixes between $750 and $5k... it seems like a pretty wide range.
Any advice / ideas would be greatly appreciated.

howardc64
04-04-2017, 08:45 PM
Figure $700 for rebuilt VB + $50 other materials (coolant, gaskets, anaerobic sealant) 5-10 hour labor.

Here is a thread that shows how to use a GM VB and change it slightly to match Volvos. Same basic design are all made by Aisin Warner and supplied Volvo, GM, Nissan, and SAAB. Note there are a few small changes depending on variation. Even the Volvos had variations depend on year so make sure you understand the necessary changes to match a 04 XC70 if you this path. http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?29347-Valve-body-replacement-using-a-new-GM-valve-body-part

These guys do best tranny work but 250 miles away. Might call them and ask if they know of good installers in DC. http://www.levelten.com/

bugeye
04-05-2017, 06:12 AM
When the transmission was "flushed", was the correct fluid used? Should have been specification 3309. Start by checking the transmission dip stick for the correct level. Check with transmission hot, engine running. Was the transmission fluid counter reset?

Xfingers
04-05-2017, 06:30 AM
Also, what's the mileage on the vehicle? Higher miles (150k+) means greater chance the VB/trans is toast. Lower miles (@100k) means greater possibility VB/trans can be nursed back to health. My car had shifting issues at 120k. I replaced the trans fluid and after 2500 miles of conservative driving, car is shifting normally with only a minor glitch every now and then (for example, going slowly up a slight grade).

Astro14
04-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Was it actually flushed? Or just a drain and fill?

I don't like the idea of diagnosing over the internet...particularly when you've posted relatively little information on the car.

Have you checked the level? (hot, idling, in park)

What color/condition is the fluid?

What fluid did this shop put in the car?

You could have (from good to bad)
1. low fluid
2. high fluid
3. incorrect fluid
4. valve body isues
5. a completely failed transmission

But without a few more steps in diagnosis, it's premature to say, "it needs a valve body"...that's just not certain...