PDA

View Full Version : New noise after new calipers?

cooper
04-02-2017, 05:01 AM
I replaced front calipers and pads, then bled front lines on my 2005 XC 70.

Brakes work fine, but now, when I am in park and press on the brake pedal, I hear and feel a noticeable click in the gearshift handle.

Again, everything works fine, but curious of the sound.

I know brake has to be on to shift out of park - any thoughts?

Astro14
04-02-2017, 05:17 AM
Correlation is not causality.

That's the parking solenoid releasing when you step on the pedal. It's always done that...

You can't move the shifter out of park unless you step on the brake pedal. It's always been that way.

cooper
04-02-2017, 05:24 AM

That's the parking solenoid releasing when you step on the pedal. It's always done that...

You can't move the shifter out of park unless you step on the brake pedal. It's always been that way.

Thanks, Astro14, but lemme ask this: I never heard/felt that noise before. Do I simply turn up NPR to drown it out or should I do anything to correct it?

Astro14
04-02-2017, 05:59 AM
You've never heard it because you've never sat in the car, with the engine off and stepped on the brake. It's always been there. Both my cars have exactly the same palpable click. I can feel it if I'm looking for it. But if I am starting the engine and checking over my shoulder to back out of a parking space, I don't notice it....

Turn up the radio and carry on...

billr99
04-02-2017, 07:52 AM

Astro is correct. The click has been in all 3 of my P2 chassis cars (all autos) albeit not particularly loud. Things have to be relatively quiet before you hear it.

Cheers,

Bill