PDA

View Full Version : Geartronic manual mode potential problems

Mrlordcameron
03-20-2017, 08:55 PM
Hi I have a 2007 Volvo XC70, sometimes I like to use the manual geartronic mode. My father who is temporarily sharing the car with me until he finds a permanent method of transportation. He says he doesn't like to use the geartronic mode because he thinks it is too hard on the transmission, I do see his point at times it can be a bit jerky. The car does have quite a few miles on it about 250000 to be exact. We know the previous owners of the car and the miles were mostly stacked up from long trips from Calgary to Edmonton on the highway. Anyway I do like to use the geartronic mode but I also don't want to jeopardize my mode of transportation. So in your semi professional opinion is it still safe to use the manual mode? Any help would be appreciated thanks!

-James AQ

Astro14
03-21-2017, 05:51 AM
It's often easier on the transmission than letting it shift itself.

But if it's jerky - you may have another issue. With 250,000 miles on it, there is a lot that could be potentially wrong.

Start with the simple/cheap: have you checked the fluid level? Is it correct? Have you checked the fluid condition? Does it smell burnt? Appear dark? Have you ever changed the fluid?