PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Turbo: ECM R&R Procedure ?

heydere
03-19-2017, 07:44 PM
Ahoy !
Can someone, please, point me to a good procedure for removing, cleaning and re-installing the ETM?
Contrary to my other posts re: PCV system, I have need of targeting ETM independent fo PCV system maintenance.
Thank you.
richard cielec greater chgo metro

dlundblad
03-20-2017, 03:08 AM
Easy way.
Disconnect the battery.
Remove the upper bar that mounts to the car and the upper motor mount.
Remove the intecooler pipe that runs above the engine.
If you really want extra room, unbolt the PS pump (3 bolts.) It looks like 4 are holding it in place, but 1 bolt is for the low pressure hose bracket above the pulley. The coolant and PS fluid reservoir will need moved out of the way. Whether this is necessary or it is debatable, but it's what I did when I removed the alternator.
Remove the radiator fan. 2 10mm bolts. Unplug and disconnect the wires and it pull it straight up.
Remove the air box and the duct running from the intercooler to the TB. Don't forget to unplug the sensors. This is where it may be difficult.. When I did the PCV, I replaced the 7mm hose clamp in a way to where it'd be easier to remove next time. From the factory, it was installed in the most difficult location possible and I would have had no way of getting to it. A small 1/4" ratchet with many extensions helps.
Reach under everything and remove the TB. 4 12mm bolts i think. Don't forget to unplug this either.

Hard way.
Do it with the PCV system replacement and clean when the manifold is out. All of the above steps still apply with the exception of the radiator fan unless you really want extra room. I can understand not wanting to take on too much at one time, but the manifold has to come out anyways so uninstalling, cleaning and reinstalling would add 20 minutes of work if that.

Astro14
03-20-2017, 04:52 AM
First - if you're doing the PCV system, then R&R on the ETM is a piece of cake when the manifold is on your bench. If not, the process was well summarized.

You'll need a new gasket for the ETM. It's a couple $$.

The 4 bolts that hold it on are 5mm with a 10mm head. A mirror, along with a 1/4" drive ratchet, 3" extension and 10mm socket, is a must for the first time that you do this. You won't be able to see the two bolts between the ETM and the block.

And when you reinstall everything, you'll need that mirror to verify that you've got the intercooler to ETM pipe on squarely and completely before you cinch up the hose clamp.