PDA

View Full Version : 02 v70xc. Instrument cluster issues

Gippy
03-16-2017, 04:11 PM
Greetings from Australia,
I'm Seeking some advice. I'm looking at a vehicle that has an intermittent fault with the instrument cluster, causing the cluster to lose power. I'm led to believe this is caused by either a bad battery or a defective cluster. My question is, Can you continue driving if the cluster shuts down?
Thanks, M

billr99
03-17-2017, 05:57 AM
Yes, the car will still function. Obviously, you will have no feedback from the car, like speed, revs, etc. which I found a bit disconcerting when my cluster went out.

Have fun,

Bill

albertj
03-17-2017, 10:24 AM
Greetings from Australia,
I'm Seeking some advice. I'm looking at a vehicle that has an intermittent fault with the instrument cluster, causing the cluster to lose power. I'm led to believe this is caused by either a bad battery or a defective cluster. My question is, Can you continue driving if the cluster shuts down?
Thanks, M

Have you checked the wiring to the cluster to be sure they are all seated well? Does the cluster fail only when lit?

Gippy
03-22-2017, 03:34 AM
Have you checked the wiring to the cluster to be sure they are all seated well? Does the cluster fail only when lit?

No not yet. I don't have the car yet. Pick it up next week and repair it when it's home.

Gippy
03-22-2017, 03:37 AM
And a follow on question..... if I put in a salvage instrument cluster, apart from the mileage, is it pretty much plug and play?

billr99
03-22-2017, 07:05 AM
And a follow on question..... if I put in a salvage instrument cluster, apart from the mileage, is it pretty much plug and play?

Yes BUT the best way to guarantee that is to make sure that 1) its from the same model year and most importantly, 2) all the numbers (four, as I recall) on the cluster match. They are a software number, a hardware number, a parts replacement number and another one that escapes my memory at the moment. As long as you have that, its easy. I replaced my original DIM in the wrecking yard's parking lot and it took about 2 minutes all in.

Good Luck,

Bill

Gippy
03-23-2017, 07:25 AM
Thanks. It will be an adventure. Pick it up, get it out of the city then an 8 hour drive.....if I'm lucky. Should know if it's a keeper by then🙏