PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Upgrade

S Charlton
06-05-2002, 12:07 PM
I am about to embark on an upgrade to my SC-816 stereo and want to start with replacing the door speakers.  I have conflicting information on what diameter speaker will fit and what the stock speaker size is.  Can anyone offer help and useful information before I do it?  Any tricks to pulling the  door panels, I have the Haynes UK version manual with directions on pulling the door panel.

P Hartmann
06-06-2002, 07:00 PM
I would not think to change the radio itself, as it is an integral part of the engine management system.  Why not ask your question at some auto stereo shop?

06-30-2002, 12:52 PM
Issues surrounding changing the radio involve finding an aftermarket harness so that you don't have to chop up the Volvo one and identifying a head unit that will fit well in the stock opening. This can be quite a satisfying DIY project.
As for speaker sizes, it is widely rumored that the front door speakers are close to 5.25" and the rear door speakers (wagon) are close to a 7". The primary issue with aftermarket speakers seems to be making them fit in the Volvo plastic mounts which are between the speaker and inner door surface. Volvo actually does a pretty a decent job of mounting and sealing the speakers to the doors. Your best bet here is to talk to a quality local install shop that has experience or search the Volvo forums online. Start with "brickboard"
Cheers,
TB