PDA

View Full Version : Preventative Maintenance 100k

slowtype
03-11-2017, 04:15 PM
Hello,

I recently picked up a 09 XC70 3.2 with about 100k on it. It looks like the previous owner did all the normal maintenance which is great. But as you are all aware the amount of recommended maintenance is limited on these and most other newer vehicles. Hopefully that's because it doesn't need it, but I have rarely found that to be the case. I want to give it a once over before I put it on the road. Are there any common things that start to go around 100k that I can catch before they fail? For example, should I do the accessory drive belt? Change the transmission fluid, differentials, check the PVC, etc?

dtlayman
03-29-2017, 05:14 PM
Great question. We have a 2012 and we are approaching 100k. Hope someone can provide some insight into preventative maintenance items. We used to have a local independent shop that seemed to know Volvos but they closed when owner retired. We are taking car to another local shop and want to make sure they know the preventative items.

albertj
03-30-2017, 10:42 AM
This gets interesting, in part because of improvements in materials.

For instance, serpentine belts don't crack as much as they used to due to changes in the EPDM elastomer they are made of. Nowadays you want to use a gauge of some sort. Here is a link to a gauge you can put on your smartphone, and an explanation of determining belt wear:

http://www.gates.com/applications-and-tools/gates-mobile-apps/pic-gauge

As for the tensioner, if you can see it rocking while the car is running you probably should replace it. If it rocks/oscillates obviously while car is running, just replace it.

Can't comment on much more. I'm sure others will chime in.

XCovlov70
03-30-2017, 11:57 AM
This gets interesting, in part because of improvements in materials.

For instance, serpentine belts don't crack as much as they used to due to changes in the EPDM elastomer they are made of. Nowadays you want to use a gauge of some sort. Here is a link to a gauge you can put on your smartphone, and an explanation of determining belt wear:

http://www.gates.com/applications-and-tools/gates-mobile-apps/pic-gauge

As for the tensioner, if you can see it rocking while the car is running you probably should replace it. If it rocks/oscillates obviously while car is running, just replace it.

Can't comment on much more. I'm sure others will chime in.

I just downloaded that Pic Gauge App and firstly got a message as I have just updated the iPhone to iOS 10.3

"The App needs to be Updated as it is out of date, and might not present the correct results"

Then not knowing if I needed to use the App with the engine running or turned off I 'enquired' in the App's Help section where I find that not only should the engine be turned OFF but the Belt needs to be removed!

So it's not a 10 minute easy check! More like a day and then you need to get all the right tools! :D

Well as I am around 15K from the point were the belt needs to be changed for 'Preventative Maintenance' I ain't taking it of just to use this gadget especially as there might be a discrepancy in the way the App works due to it not being updated and brought into line with the iOS in the iPhone.

Thanks for the info though.

hoonk
03-30-2017, 01:13 PM
The biggest service on that engine is @ 75k, spark plugs, etc.

I am seeing belt problems starting at about 90k miles. The one way clutches on the alternator are seizing, this twists the alternator drive gear off :( The one way clutch on the ac belt drive goes bad also as well as water pumps leak and water pump bearings go bad, AC variable displacement valves go bad, and ac clutch bearings.

You should make sure the belt will free-wheel, (checking the one way clutch on the ac belt drive) you should be able to spin the ac pulley(with the belt on) one direction and not the other.

albertj
04-01-2017, 12:33 PM
If you look on the right hand side of that page you will find a box, looks like an ad, but it has a couple orange widgets pictured, and in a red callout the words "NEW BELT WEAR GAUGE" - if you click that it kicks up a PDF about how to use the plastic gauge.

What plastic gauge? The one you use without removing the belt.

On the Gates page, on the menu bar click PROGRAMS AND PROMOTIONS, a list will drop down and then you click "AUTO PROGRAMS & PROMOTIONS" on that drop-down. On the right will be a link to the plastic belt gauge, or just click this link: http://www.gates.com/products/automotive/new-products/belt-wear-gauge and on that page, just above the video at the bottom, is a link to an on-line form you fill out to have them mail you (free) a pair of the plastic gauges.

You don't need to take the belt off, etc., to use the plastic gauges. I'm sorry I omitted pointing out to you the availability of the plastic gauge, did not think that many would be interested because it takes a while to get them via mail and I'm not aware that they are sold in stores.

Albertj

I just downloaded that Pic Gauge App and firstly got a message as I have just updated the iPhone to iOS 10.3

"The App needs to be Updated as it is out of date, and might not present the correct results"

Then not knowing if I needed to use the App with the engine running or turned off I 'enquired' in the App's Help section where I find that not only should the engine be turned OFF but the Belt needs to be removed!

So it's not a 10 minute easy check! More like a day and then you need to get all the right tools! :D

Well as I am around 15K from the point were the belt needs to be changed for 'Preventative Maintenance' I ain't taking it of just to use this gadget especially as there might be a discrepancy in the way the App works due to it not being updated and brought into line with the iOS in the iPhone.

Thanks for the info though.

slowtype
04-01-2017, 01:15 PM
Two questions:

Is it the belt or clutch failing that leads to the other components failing?

Do they give a warning? Or is this the kind of thing that happens when you are furthest away from home and late.

XCovlov70
04-07-2017, 12:41 PM
Hi albertj.

While it looks like the Update to the 'App' is now in a 'Hardware Format' namely the 'New Belt Wear Gauge' from an engineering point of view when the tip of a triangle of rubber gets worn then it starts to look like a castellated wall as shown in the Wear Gauge Instructions as a 'Good Belt' at the following link....

http://www.gates.com/~/media/files/gates/automotive/resources/product-brochures/gatesgaugeinstructioncard.pdf

The 'Worn Belt' on the right hand side of the Instruction page seems totally wrong as the rubber 'tips' would be worn away as the belt moves around the pulleys, and take the shape of what they call a 'Good Belt'.

Methinks there is a wee problem with that instruction!

If you look on the right hand side of that page you will find a box, looks like an ad, but it has a couple orange widgets pictured, and in a red callout the words "NEW BELT WEAR GAUGE" - if you click that it kicks up a PDF about how to use the plastic gauge.

What plastic gauge? The one you use without removing the belt.

On the Gates page, on the menu bar click PROGRAMS AND PROMOTIONS, a list will drop down and then you click "AUTO PROGRAMS & PROMOTIONS" on that drop-down. On the right will be a link to the plastic belt gauge, or just click this link: http://www.gates.com/products/automotive/new-products/belt-wear-gauge and on that page, just above the video at the bottom, is a link to an on-line form you fill out to have them mail you (free) a pair of the plastic gauges.

You don't need to take the belt off, etc., to use the plastic gauges. I'm sorry I omitted pointing out to you the availability of the plastic gauge, did not think that many would be interested because it takes a while to get them via mail and I'm not aware that they are sold in stores.

Albertj

ssicarman
04-07-2017, 08:31 PM
Belts when new will be more like the left picture. As they wear into the V shaped pulleys they will take the same shape V shape and be considered worn.

XCovlov70
04-08-2017, 01:34 AM
Belts when new will be more like the left picture. As they wear into the V shaped pulleys they will take the same shape V shape and be considered worn.

Just been out with a strong flashlight and had a look at the belt and pulleys that are fitted.

The Belt Tensioner Pulley grooves are shaped like the 'Good' picture and the Black 'Castellated' part under the Gauge in the pdf.

While the Crankshaft Pulley grooves' are however more like the 'Worn' picture and the Black 'Triangles' under the Gauge, but not as 'pointed' more of a radius on the top as I my finger didn't get sliced as I ran it over the top!!! [thumbup]

If the Belt tries to wear into the V shaped pulley which is the Crankshaft pulley, then the rubber is going to get pushed back as it comes into contact with the Tensioner Pulley as that is shaped like a new belt and 'Castellated'.