PDA

View Full Version : 99 V70XC  wind noise

mgopalkr
03-12-2002, 10:57 AM
The wind noise is awful at speeds over 40mph. It seems to be roof related (may the roof rack-I have side rails only -no cross bars). Has anyone had this problem and if so has removing the roof rack solved it?
Thanks,

BSNF
03-13-2002, 02:36 PM
Haven't really noticed any wind noise.  In fact, the XC is much quiter than our previous car (VW Jetta) and we generally cruise over 40 MPH.

However, when the sun roof is open all the way we have noticed that there is an odd whumping noise/sensation inside the cabin caused by the airflow.  Very annoying.  This happens at speeds under 30 mph, but is tolerable with the roof opened to the first setting.

mgopalkr
03-15-2002, 11:25 AM
I notice that yours is a 01 model which was redesigned. mine is '99. They probably fixed it for 01. Thanks for the reply

xccharles
04-27-2002, 11:22 AM
for the first problem, you may have a bad seal in your sunroof.  Second problem has to do with car acoustics, to counter act the "whumping" just open another window

digitscd
05-03-2002, 06:16 AM
There were problems with the original seals around the windshield causing wind noise. Early on Volvo issued a service bulletin for it . It's Technical Service Bulletin #8840024, issued OCT 99, Windshield Molding, Upper - Noise. Just bring it to a dealer and ask if it has been done on your car.

haroldshields
03-28-2004, 09:17 PM
I have experienced the same thing on my 2000 XC. I found that the top moulding on the windshield was not tight against the roof. This caused a lot of wind noise at speeds of 30mph or more. For a temporary fix I covered the seam with black electrical tape, works fine and is barley noticable. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif