PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade stereo in 2006 model

janiner
01-04-2017, 12:31 AM
Hi all,

I have a 2006 XC70 with what I believe is the HU-650 stereo. The dealer installed a hands-free Bluetooth phone thing which was state of the art at the time and now looks like a toy. They also installed a cable in the center console to plug my iPod into; it functioned like a CD changer but was always very primitive and now doesn't have the right connector for my iPhone. I've been using an FM transmitter to listen to music from my phone for years now.

I'd like to replace the receiver with something more modern, maybe a Kenwood, which has proper Bluetooth/iPhone integration. I don't care about satellite radio, which i currently have, but I do want to keep the steering wheel controls and the tie-in with the backup sensors.

Is there a resource out there that will tell me, as someone who knows very little about car audio, what I need to do? I was hoping to order parts from Crutchfield rather than trusting a place like Car Toys but I want to know a bit more about what I'm doing before ordering anything.

I'm looking at the Kenwo​od Exce​lon DPX7​92BH receiver, but am open to other suggestions if there's one that will work better. Crutchfield says it will fit. I presume this can be done without losing the storage cubby to the left of the receiver?

Thanks in advance!

JRL
01-04-2017, 03:43 PM
TALK to someone at Crutchfield, they will hook you up.
You WILL lose the cubby

ex850
01-04-2017, 08:56 PM
http://www.bluepower.se/en/product/audio-video/car-stereo/custom-players/volvo-s60v70-05-09-headunit-arm-2016-version.html

I have one on the way for my 07.

Reverend
01-04-2017, 09:00 PM
How much do you care about new flashy stereo, and how much is this about functionality?

The GROM-Audio adapter would probably fulfill your requirements, and then you could upgrade your car to the PA200/High Performance speakers combo and be good.

vtl
01-05-2017, 11:41 AM
You will loose trash tray, steering wheel controls, parking sensors and 2DIN fascia is not a perfect fit. Steering wheel controls and a bunch of other things like automatic dimming can be re-survived by using a special adapter. Another one can be bought from UK company for the parking sensors. This all will cost another Kenwood just in parts.

I ended up soldering and programming adapter myself. Cubby space is not wasted too! :)

https://github.com/vtl/volvo-ddd

ex850
01-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Check out BluePower in Sweden. They make a drop in unit, with CANBus, including the trim with the cubby. Navi capable, running Windows 6 CE, BT, iPod/iPhone controls, and a virtual 12 disc CD. You can buy the DesNav software for $30.

Mine just cleared customs in NY. $405 shipped. I will need to purchase the DesNav.