PDA

View Full Version : Haldex Pump Access - are there any options? Please help NOW!

EastOfGratiot
01-01-2017, 01:08 PM
I am replacing my bad Haldex pump (2005 XC70). I have VIDA and am fairly clear on most steps but I have a few questions for those who've done this before.

My car has the big AOC damper that has to be removed. I'm little confused about how to give the rear driveshaft enough room to move forward out of the damper. VIDA MANUAL STATES:"Note! for cars with damper...the center bearing member should be removed and the propeller shaft fully tilted to free the rear joint"

QUESTION 1) how far down does the driveshaft center bearing member need to move to free the shaft at the rear? Volvo manual says to leave forward exhaust system on the car but the driveshaft center bearing member is directly above the converter.

QUESTION 2) the nuts and studs that connect my cat-back part of the exhaust to the cat converter are impossibly rusted (just a lump of rust)..any advice on how to deal with this? or can I get away with just lowering the whole exhaust a bit??

Thanks in advance!

vtl
01-02-2017, 04:58 PM
I just removed exhaust from all hangers and left it on the floor. It cleared enough room for driveshaft to be tilted down. The car was on four 6" ramps.

EastOfGratiot
01-02-2017, 07:02 PM
I just removed exhaust from all hangers and left it on the floor. It cleared enough room for driveshaft to be tilted down. The car was on four 6" ramps.

Thanks! I ended up taking off the rear portion (had to cut the rusty studs and nuts). I also repaired a rusted off exhaust hangar with the bolt-on Volvo replacement kit.

I have AWD again!

vtl
01-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Cool!

Did you split your old pump to see why it died? Mine is still laying somewhere in garage...

EastOfGratiot
01-03-2017, 11:03 AM
Cool!

Did you split your old pump to see why it died? Mine is still laying somewhere in garage...

I didn't, but I wondered if I should donate it for forensic use :)
Mine was working at startup until the vehicle was driven for more than about 20 minutes, then it would stop (or pump too weakly??)

vtl
01-03-2017, 11:27 AM
Mine was working at startup until the vehicle was driven for more than about 20 minutes, then it would stop (or pump too weakly??)
Any sludge spotted on the filter or pump's mesh?

Mine was working intermittently. During replacement I found a wet ring around pump and leaking O-ring. Could be it just had enough oil leaked out and a simple refill might bring it back to life. But gaining access to the pump is not the easiest thing on Earth, so it totally made sense to assure the next 10 years free of Haldex problems with a new pump :)

EastOfGratiot
01-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Any sludge spotted on the filter or pump's mesh?

Mine was working intermittently. During replacement I found a wet ring around pump and leaking O-ring. Could be it just had enough oil leaked out and a simple refill might bring it back to life. But gaining access to the pump is not the easiest thing on Earth, so it totally made sense to assure the next 10 years free of Haldex problems with a new pump :)

The pump's mesh was amazingly clean. The oil filter was dark but not sludgy. The fluid looked pretty clean for 145,000 miles. I'll take a closer look at the pump tonight. Nothing caught my eye but I'll take a closer look at the o-rings. My VIDA/DICE history record showed that my Haldex had this pump issue over about half of the past 700+ drive cycles (starting WAY before I owned the car). I don't know what triggers the fault code....incorrect voltage from the pump?..or complete stoppage?

I too am glad that I replaced the pump and filter (the new filter cap is the coolest looking part on the car). I don't want to go through all the hassle of getting to these parts again!

Now I'm hoping for another round of heavy snow so I can enjoy reliable AWD and my new BFG KO2 tires!