PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Explain the Paint Problem, Please ?

heydere
12-30-2016, 04:39 PM
Ahoy!
New since November owner of my first Volvo: 2001 V70 XC.
Can someone explain the nature of the exterior paint problem? Ext. finish has several "blotches" as if an outer layer vaporized - Not unlike when one is sanding wood and you sand away the varnish in one area.
Thanks.
All the best,
Richard Cielec
Greater Chicago Metro

JRL
12-30-2016, 05:13 PM
You need to be a little more specific
Year (OK a 2001)
MILEAGE
Has the car sat outside for 16 years
Color of XC
SPECIFIC issue on what part of the car/

If this XC has been remotely taken care of the paint should be fine, if not, hey, it's a very old car now and the paint will go bad, especially silver and red.
It may have lightened up a bit if it was out on the sun for all these years but for the most part Volvo paint is at least as good, maybe better than a lot of other cars,
(especially Japanese cars and some American cars).
(except for the thin front to rear roof strips, they go bad very quickly and are not made anymore)!

Also, if the XC has had any paintwork, the clear may/can go bad unless the job and the prep was a 100% first rate job. Stop by any body shop and ask their painter, they will be happy to tell you what's going on. You posting without pictures is no help to you and us

heydere
12-30-2016, 05:35 PM
Hello.
Thank you.
Mileage is 165+k.
Purchased the car this November from second owner. 'Don't know if it was garaged or not.
I don't know the ext. colour because I do not know how to read the code. I think it is Gold or Gold Mist (?) but, looks silver to me.
Problem is driver's rear fender, along the top, below the (cargo) side window. Yes, does look like clear coat is missing. So, you may be correct about the car having some paint or body work done. The seller did not confess any. Unless, Volvo factory had some paint issues. (Didn't General Motors have paint problems maybe in the late 1980's?)
I'll try to figure out how to post photographs tomorrow when I can take some in daylight.
All the best,
Richard Cielec
Greater Chicago Metro

JRL
12-30-2016, 10:08 PM
Nope
It's been re-painted
Sounds like Ash Gold
ID Plate on inner left fender
2nd line is the paint code
No such a panel in automotive terms, that is called a QUARTER PANEL. A fender is the FRONT (only)

heydere
12-31-2016, 04:17 PM
Nope
It's been re-painted
Sounds like Ash Gold
ID Plate on inner left fender
2nd line is the paint code
No such a panel in automotive terms, that is called a QUARTER PANEL. A fender is the FRONT (only)

Ahoy !
Happy New Year, Everyone.
Yes, Ash Gold. Code: 446-46; Interior Code: B980.
I took several photographs but, sounds like no need of me trying to figure out how to upload since bad re-spray and not Factory problem is the cause.
Apologies in advance for any breaches in etiquette until I learn my way around the forum.
Excited to have the V70 XC. Embarrassed to have not made a smarter purchasse.
All the best,
Richard Cielec
Greater Chicago Metro

v70+xc70
12-31-2016, 05:22 PM
Please post pictures. Several.

Sounds like clearcoat has failed.

heydere
12-31-2016, 05:48 PM
Please post pictures. Several.

Sounds like clearcoat has failed.

heydere
12-31-2016, 05:49 PM

Hopefully, two photographs have been loaded.

JRL
12-31-2016, 09:42 PM
Wow.
I must say (and I sell these) that I've never seen anything so bad on a Volvo!.
Either it was repainted very poorly or someone dumped something like an acid over it

savannahvolvoguy
01-07-2017, 11:46 AM
someone dumped something like an acid over it

Agree'd It looks like acid to me... hopefully unlikely?

billr99
01-08-2017, 06:16 AM
Could have been caused by an industrial spill type situation. Back in the day, I worked at a factory that made chrome-plated plastic car parts and we had a couple of situations where the blower ventilation over the chromic acid tanks sucked foam off the surface of the slightly overfilled tanks, sent it up the stacks and out over the cars in the parking lot. I had a brand-new '79 SAAB 99GL with a yellowish beige paint job that ended up with brown splotches all over any surface that caught the stuff. Fortunately, it happened on a Friday afternoon, so I managed to get it home, get it wash, rubbed out and waxed within just a few hours of it happening. Those who waited ended up having clear coat peel or the paint pitted down to the metal. Cost the company a few bucks to sort all of that.

But in this case, it just looks like a bad clear-coat re-spray to me.

Cheers,

Bill

JRL
01-08-2017, 10:49 AM
Does any of this matter?
The point is that somewhere along the line someone or something really messed up his XC!

Out of curiosity you failed to mention if that was there when you bought it?
Something like this usually takes a few years to come out if it's from a respray in that area.

If it was there, why the heck did you buy it?